Mysterious Loss of Internal Memory - The Galaxy Tab Forum

The Galaxy Tab Forum: Mysterious Loss of Internal Memory - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mysterious Loss of Internal Memory

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:03 AM (#1) User is offline   Steve L-W 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationManchester, UK
  • Device Model Number:SM-T830
  • Android Version:8.0 Oreo

I am currently running Android 9 on my Galaxy S4 Tablet whic has 64GB of internal memory and an SD card with a further 400GB.

I have been trying to copy movie files across from my iMac Desktop machine to the SD card on the tablet using a web interface for the transfer and have also attempted direct cable copying. The web method appears to work correctly in that the transfer show a normal looking progress bar and takes what I would consider to be a reasonable time to complete. On completion the system offers no indication of whether the process has succeeded or failed. Om checking the SD card it becomes radidly evident that the files have NOT transferred (these files are between 4 and 6 GB in size).

I tried several more tests with different files, but with the same results. I then noticed that the amount of free internal memory, which was running at almost 50GB at the start of these attempts had dropped to 1.5GB! I tried various apps to determine what was causing this and all I could determine was that the space was in use but not what or where the files involved were. I assume that notwithstanding the fact that I was trying to copy direct to an extenal card, the system must create temporary or cache files in internal memory during the process and that the problem is that these files are not being deleted. Don't know if this only happens on transfer failure as I have yet to succeed.

This raises 2 issues ...

1. If my assumption is correct, why is it happening this way. Surely the storage, albeit it temporary, in internal memory of a file that is destined for SD memory Defeats the main purpose of having SD memory at all and, more importantly,

2. How do I identify, locate and delete the offending files to get my memory back? Please don't tell me to re-install the software .. the machine is not rooted and therefore while I can backup application files I can do nothing about their configuration settings and would have to deal with data files manually.

Would really appreciate some help on this one as I am new to Android tablets have just upgraded from an iPad. Thanks.

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:55 PM (#2) User is offline   Danieljack 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAlgeria
  • Device Size:Tab A 7.0
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(Sad) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:4.1 Jellybean

Hi, have you managed to fix your problem?

UC Browser SHAREit MX Player
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Tab A 7.0
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : 4.1 Jellybean

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users