Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Case Thread - The Galaxy Tab Forum

The Galaxy Tab Forum: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Case Thread - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Case Thread List your Recommendations for the Tab 2 7.0

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:45 PM (#1) User is offline   ejm 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUtah, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:2 7.0
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3113
  • Android Version:4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich

Couldn't be more pleased with this...

"MoKo Premium Quality Slim Cover Case Folio with built-in Stand for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Tab 7.0 Plus, BLACK"

Found on Amazon for $20 ... read plenty of reviews there. Only drawback is the microphone is covered - but this can be easily solved with a tiny drill hole if you really want. Frankly, I've been using the microphone (Google Voice/keyboard feature) with the Tab in this case and have had no problems at all. Every other button/port is accessible from the sides, yet the protection, look/feel, weight (light), padding, fit and functionality are all perfect.

If I were to design a case for the Tab 2 7", this would be it :-)

(Delivery took about a week across continental US)

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Model Number : GT-P3113
Android Version : 4.0.3 ICS

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:30 AM (#2) User is offline   soylantgreen 

• Pip
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Didn't feel like waiting a week for something to protect my Tab, so picked this up at Walmart for 19.99.

http://store.griffin...tab/elan-sleeve

Fit's perfectly and has a tab that you pull to eject your Tab.

Still wish I could find something like a Gumdrop case for the Tab2 7".
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:28 AM (#3) User is offline   srvctec 

• Pip
  • LocationKansas, USA

I've had my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113 for several weeks now and am on my third case because of not liking the features, or lack of, on the ones I've bought so far. I have a folio type case and don't really like to try and hang on to it with the cover flipped around to the back. I also have a minimalist Samsung sleeve case for when I want thin and light, but that means when actually using the tablet, I have to try and hold on to the shiny, slippery tablet since there is nothing to get any grip on.

So, the ultimate tablet case for me would be a case not unlike the Incipio Silicrylic (like this one), which Incipio said they have no plans to make for the GT 2 7.0. I spent several HOURS the other night trying to find a case similar to this and came up with this one, which arrived yesterday. It's OK, but not as grippy of a surface as I'd like. I realize it was actually made for the 7.0 Plus, but it actually fits quite well on the 2 7.0. I had to enlarge the mic hole and headphone jack hole, but other than that, it's a good fit.

Does ANYONE have any idea where I can find a case similar to the Incipio I linked to????

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P3113

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:52 AM (#4) User is offline   Madkins007 

• Pip
  • LocationNebraska, U.S.A.
  • Android Version:4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

It looks like a lot of cases for the Nook HD, Kindle Fire, Fire HD, or Kindle 'Keyboard' (that use elastic, etc.) should work- anyone tried that and can confirm/deny it? Any other close options out there?

Personally, I would LOVE to find a thin leather, possibly zippered, professional-looking notepad cover that the Tab would fit in reasonably well.

I DID run across a 'child-resistant' cheapo option that may help those of us who want our kids/grandkids to play with the tablets without quite so much worry- just leave it in whatever case you have, fold the cover back, tuck into a gallon-sized Zip-lock and tape the excess on the back. Your case provides bump-resistance, and the baggie keeps everything clean and dry.

Galaxy Tab : 2 7.0
Model Number : GT-P3113TS
Android Version : 4.0.4

Also: Sprint Motorola Photon phone, HP Pavilion DV6 15" laptop with Windows 7

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:05 PM (#5) User is offline   BrianG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationDes Moines, IA
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

I tried one of those Belkin folio-style cases and didn't like it, so I ended up getting the Samsung book-cover case and that has been my favorite out of the two cases I've tried: http://www.samsung.c.../EFC-1G5NGECXAR

It's expensive compared to others, but it feels and looks the best without adding lots of bulk.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - GT-P3113 - Android JB 4.1.1 (NOT rooted) - Firmware Rev LK7
Nexus 7 32GB - Android JB 4.3
Nexus 7FHD (v2) 32GB - Android JB 4.3
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android JB 4.1.2

Ainol 7" Novo - Android JB 4.1
Ainol 10" Novo - Android JB 4.1
HTC Merge - Android GB 2.3
Kindle Fire (G1) - Android 2.3 wrecked by Amazon. :)

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:47 PM (#6) User is offline   RainmanP 

• Pip
  • LocationLouisiana, U.S.A.

Well, I bit the bullet and forked out what I considered a pretty steep price ($60) for the Samsung Book Cover for the Tab 2. I got my Tab 2 pretty much as soon as it came out, and there were not many choices. I prefer a minimalist case with a cover. The Book Cover is it. I have been very happy with it. The back is a rigid shell that snaps onto the Tab 2 7 perfectly. The cover is pretty much rigid as well. There is a strip of non-skid plastic along the edge of the cover and a couple of spots of it on the lower edge of the shell. This allows you to use the case as a stand in landscape orientation on most surfaces, which is why it opens to the right (portrait/top, landscape) like a book. Hence, the name. I will admit it took a day or two to get used to the right opening, but once I did it made sense. Now I prefer it.

The Poetic StandBook looks very interesting (search on the big website that starts with A). It seems to be real leather, and I did not see anything to suggest otherwise. At $15 and excellent user reviews, I could not resist getting one to try. I was intrigued by the idea of the strap that allows you to hold it more securely with one hand. I should be getting it in a day or two and will try to remember to come back to post something about it.

Android Version : 4.0.4 ICS

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:43 AM (#7) User is offline   markomars 

• Pip
  • LocationSingapore
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3110
  • Android Version:4.1.1 Jellybean

I'm using the Samsung Book Cover. The quality feels really good and it's one of the slimmer cases out in the market.

http://www.samsung.c...pe=pouch-covers
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 8GB GT-P3110 Jelly Bean 4.1.1

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:22 AM (#8) User is offline   as400 

• Pip
  • LocationUK
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3100

View PostBrianG, on 01 October 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I tried one of those Belkin folio-style cases and didn't like it, so I ended up getting the Samsung book-cover case and that has been my favorite out of the two cases I've tried: http://www.samsung.c.../EFC-1G5NGECXAR

It's expensive compared to others, but it feels and looks the best without adding lots of bulk.

I want to get a 'snap' style case for my Tab which has yet to arrive (yes this is my first post!) I like this case but don't see how it works?...when you type is the case slightly elevated at the furthest landscape side?..if so how?..or does it just lay flat on the desk in front of you?...I found a couple of links to it on line but none show photos of the case 'in action'.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100 Android Version 4.0.4

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:25 AM (#9) User is offline   bishop793 

• Pip
  • LocationMaryland, U.S.A.
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

i cant find one anywhere.

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:28 PM (#10) User is offline   BrianG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

View Postas400, on 02 October 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

I want to get a 'snap' style case for my Tab which has yet to arrive (yes this is my first post!) I like this case but don't see how it works?...when you type is the case slightly elevated at the furthest landscape side?..if so how?..or does it just lay flat on the desk in front of you?...I found a couple of links to it on line but none show photos of the case 'in action'.

Sorry, can't help you there. The Belkin one I tried was a leatherette style case with a less-than-ideal method of propping it up (in landscape mode). It was kept closed via an elastic strap.

The Samsung case is a hard plastic case that opens like a book. You can prop it open in both landscape and portrait ways (although the landscape method allows the screen to be at a slight angle). There is nothing to secure it closed, but I've never found it opening on it's own anyway.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:42 PM (#11) User is offline   dDave 

• PipPip
  • LocationPuget Sound, Washington, U.S.A.
  • Android Version:4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich

I have a Belkin leatherette case and I like it just fine. I haven't ever needed to prop it up in landscape position, it tried it one just to see how it worked, it worked alright. I don't know why I'd want to prop it up in portrait position, so I don't need it.

As long as it keeps the tablet from getting scratched and has a hole in the back for the camera to see through, I'm happy!

Dave
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT- P3113, Ice cream sandwich version 4.0.3

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:36 PM (#12) User is offline   as400 

• Pip
  • LocationUK
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3100

View Postmarkomars, on 02 October 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

I'm using the Samsung Book Cover. The quality feels really good and it's one of the slimmer cases out in the market.

http://www.samsung.c...pe=pouch-covers

So I bought this case and its absolute rubbish.

The site I bought it from stated:

"The Tablet simply clips into the case and holds your tablet in a landscape position when opened. The case can be adjusted to hold the device in a comfortable touch screen typing position or in a more upright video watching position."

Open the cover and the case just lays FLAT on the table which for me doesn't make for a "comfortable touch screen position" and when the the tablet is in Landscape position it gradually falls down because the rubberised edge just isn't rubbery enough!

So that going back for a refund and the search for the perfect case continues.

I want something like this clip and fold case which is for the ipad, anyone seen anything like it for the Tab?

http://www.yourpoeti...-2-3-case-black
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100 Android Version 4.0.4

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:22 AM (#13) User is offline   RainmanP 

• Pip

Apparently I just love me some rubbish because I have and really like the Tab 2 7 Book Cover, but that is not what I am here to post about. I said earlier that I would try to come back and post about the Poetic Standbook cover.

Executive summary - For the $15 price it would be hard to find a case as good as this!

For someone looking for an inexpensive ($15 on the big A website) this one would be hard to beat. It is slightly more bulky than the Book Cover, but the Tab 2 7 in this case will still fit in a loose trouser pocket. The description says it is leather, and usually I am pretty good at telling leather from faux/synthetic/simulated/expanded leather, but in this case I honestly cannot tell. It doesn't actually have that leather smell or a plastic smell, but it is so well made I cannot see any edges in order to tell visually either. It is certainly close enough to satisfy me, and I REALLY prefer real leather.

The case fits my Tab 2 7 perfectly. The cover is pretty rigid and padded so the screen is very well protected. Inside the cover is a strap to slip you hand in for a secure hold. The cover has a piece that snaps over the edge of the Tab to hold it closed. There is also an elastic strap that can provide a secondary closure. The inside of the cover has ridges of padding with two grooves to engage the edge of the Tab to provide two angeles when used as a stand. The inside of the case is lined with a suede-like material to protect the Tab and screen from scratches.

I have had numerous handheld devices including 3 different generations of Palms, an iPhone, an iPod, 2 different Sansa MP3 players, 3 Android phones, and 3 Android tablets over the last 15 years or so. When I purchase a device, with a screen, I immediately purchase two things - a screen protector and a case with a cover that protects the screen. My only point in mentioning all of this is to make clear that I consider cases very important. I consider this case to be a VERY good one. It protects all 4 corners and the screen. It does not add too much bulk - with the Tab 2 inserted the whole thing is about 5/8" thick, a little less than 2 cm. Had this case been available when I purchased my Tab 2 I would probably not have even considered putting out the bucks for the Samsung Book Cover. Now that I have both, it will be difficult to decide which I will use as my regular case.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:47 PM (#14) User is offline   BrianG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

View Postas400, on 04 October 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

So I bought this case and its absolute rubbish.

The site I bought it from stated:

"The Tablet simply clips into the case and holds your tablet in a landscape position when opened. The case can be adjusted to hold the device in a comfortable touch screen typing position or in a more upright video watching position."

Open the cover and the case just lays FLAT on the table which for me doesn't make for a "comfortable touch screen position" and when the the tablet is in Landscape position it gradually falls down because the rubberised edge just isn't rubbery enough!

So that going back for a refund and the search for the perfect case continues.

I want something like this clip and fold case which is for the ipad, anyone seen anything like it for the Tab?

http://www.yourpoeti...-2-3-case-black

Like the post above mine, I guess I like rubbish as well.

I guess whether you like it or not depends on what/how you are using it. From what I can tell, you want a cover that will prop the tab at a slight horizontal angle and still allow you to type on it. Well, if that's the case (no pun intended), then you are right, this cover will not suit you. It sounds like you almost need a cover that has a very small "kickstand" really - something like the little propping tabs that most PC keyboards use.

The little rubber feet on this cover are designed to prevent slipping when the tab is propped up at about 10 degrees from vertical (or around 8 0* from horizontal - depends which way you look at it). Although, even then, typing like this would be awkward, and is more for viewing only.

If you can't find your ideal case, maybe you could get whatever case you like the looks of and then add some type of kickstand to get the typing angle you need? This should be a fairly simple mod to do.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:56 AM (#15) User is offline   RainmanP 

• Pip

Exactly! If I am going to use the touch screen, I hold the Tab in my hand. Regardless of the case it would never occur to me to try to touch screen with the tab standing. I have tried, and I find I cannot touch accurately. I use the Tab in the stand position either when watching a video or typing with a bluetooth keyboard. What I really like about the Book Cover is that it add so little bulk, and the outside is smooth so it slips in a pocket very easily.

View PostBrianG, on 05 October 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

Like the post above mine, I guess I like rubbish as well.

I guess whether you like it or not depends on what/how you are using it. From what I can tell, you want a cover that will prop the tab at a slight horizontal angle and still allow you to type on it. Well, if that's the case (no pun intended), then you are right, this cover will not suit you. It sounds like you almost need a cover that has a very small "kickstand" really - something like the little propping tabs that most PC keyboards use.

The little rubber feet on this cover are designed to prevent slipping when the tab is propped up at about 10 degrees from vertical (or around 8 0* from horizontal - depends which way you look at it). Although, even then, typing like this would be awkward, and is more for viewing only.

If you can't find your ideal case, maybe you could get whatever case you like the looks of and then add some type of kickstand to get the typing angle you need? This should be a fairly simple mod to do.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:41 AM (#16) User is offline   RainmanP 

• Pip

A different type of case - Belt clip holster.

I like being able to carry my large phone and my Tab 2 7 in my pocket, but sometimes the jeans or shorts are either too tight or the pockets are too small. In those cases a belt clip holster lets me carry the device hands free. Now, admittedly, sometimes that is just a little more dorky than even I can tolerate (though my wife would probably say I have no limit!). Actually I more often use the holster to clip to the strap on a camera or shoulder bag when traveling. In fact, it has wound up more of a travel case than an actual carry around case. I had almost given up finding something the right size when I finally stumbled on the Ripoff CO-58, a lightly padded case with belt clip and hook and loop flap closure. Ripoff makes a whole line of different size holster cases, all of which are extremely well made. The CO-58 is just slightly larger than the Tab 2 7 but not by much. It is lightly padded and has two pockets on the front making it an excellent case for storing and protecting the Tab 2 7 and some accessories when traveling. The Tab 2 7 easily slips in even in a case with cover.

So if you need a nice padded travel case/holster you might want to check this on out. I got the CO-58 for $33 from arcade-electronics.com (is it OK to mention a website?).

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:11 PM (#17) User is offline   sracer 

• Pip
  • LocationU.S.A.

Here's the case that I use:
http://www.amazon.co...ils_o06_s00_i00

I prefer this style for tablets in general because it is the least obtrusive. I find cases that cover the bezel generally interfere with the screen taps that are at the extreme edge of the touch-able area. The case has enough padding for protection, and it is pretty convenient to use as a stand. All ports are accessible but I do need to remove the case when using the GTab with the keyboard dock (I picked up the Student Edition)

Posted Image

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113 Android Version 4.0.4 ICS

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:38 PM (#18) User is offline   Kaora 

• Pip
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Android Version:4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich

I just got a Galaxy Tab 2 as a birthday present a few days ago. I ran down and got a cheap, four dollar case from Gamestop, but I was looking at the MoKo for something more long term.

Ideally, I'd like to find something like my iPod Touch 2G's case, but I don't remember who made it. All it has is a small, green tag saying "Eco by DLD/DLO?" and that only turns up Belkin. Its a small, leather case with a cover that flips from the top of the device.

Android Version : 4.0.2

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:20 PM (#19) User is offline   Madkins007 

• Pip

CrazyOnDigital Stand Leather Case (brown) for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. $9.00.

Materials and construction: I do not think this is 100% real leather- it has a slight leather smell but also smells very chemically, and the edges do not look like real leather (note- it is NOT advertised as being leather). It seems well-made, with only a little roughness on some edges. The outer shell is printed/embossed with a crosshatch pattern that looks more like a natural leather finish on the ad photos and more 'fake' in real life. The logo is rather subtly embossed on the front lower right corner.

Fit and protection: It is an excellent fit, and allows access to the buttons, camera, IR port, and card slot. It offers very good protection- fully covered in thickish materials and some overhang at the edges to provide some cushion.
- One fit issue I personally have is that it adds over 100% to the thickness. The Tab itself is about 3/8", the case brings it to 7/8". Not a deal-breaker, but disappointing to me.

Functionality: The Tab sits in a sort of internal holder that is not attached on one edge so it folds out to prop itself against the inside of the front cover to sit at several different angle in landscape mode. It will kind of support the Tab in portrait mode, but only at a full 90 degrees.
- Because the inside front cover is used to support the unit, there are no pockets in it.
- The Tab fits into the case by sliding into an inner slot, then tucking a tab around it, rather than clips, Velcro, or elastic.
- Features a magnetic latch for the cover. It is not real strong, and does not turn the Tab off when closed.
- One small unique feature is a small ring and wrist strap. The clasp on the hand strap is not super-strong but should be fine for mild use.

Pros:
- Good fit
- Protection
- Full access
- Inexpensive, under $10

Cons:
- Adds a lot of thickness

Also: Sprint Motorola Photon phone, HP Pavilion DV6 15" laptop with Windows 7

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:20 PM (#20) User is offline   Madkins007 

• Pip

Belkin Verve Tab Folio Case for Kindle Fire, but used for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. $20. (Available at Radio Shack for $25)

Materials and construction: Leather or leather-based material (smells like real leather) with a softer material for a liner. This is a very basic thinline case- 2 hardened covers, a more flexible joiner piece, a long front pocket, 4 elastic corner tabs (with a nice leather bit on the top of each) and a leather strap with a magnetic clasp. Small embossed logo on lower right corner. Workmanship is very good- I don't see any rough areas, bad stitching, etc. Mine is black, but it is also available in purple and pink)

Fit and protection: This is designed and marketed for the Kindle Fire, but works with elastic and leather tabs in the corners, so would fit several devices in this range. It is a very slightly tight fit as you put it in, but not so bad that there is a problem taking it in and out. There is not a lot of space between the edge of the device and the case, so there is not much of a protective 'crumple zone' for the edges, but it does offer good front and back protection.
- The 'naked' Tab is about 3/8" thick. This case makes it about 3/4" thick- not 'nearly naked' but probably about as good as a stiffened leather case can get.

Functionality: This is a pretty basic case. There is no easel function at all- it holds the tablet and can hold some papers in the wide front pocket. (Belkin does offer Verve Folio Stand that acts as an easel that is probably identical to this version other than the thickness.) There is MAYBE enough room in there to add a loop for a thin stylus or something if you want.
- There is no hole for the rear camera
- All side buttons, ports, etc. are easily accessible

Pros:
- Well-made, good fit and quality
- Thin- easy to slip into a pocket
- Offers some protection, especially to the screen

Cons:
- No easel function
- Not specifically designed/sized for the Tab