The Galaxy Tab Forum: External SD CARD STORAGE - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

External SD CARD STORAGE Helpful tips and guidlines

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:07 AM (#1) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

SD CARD STORAGE – YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Here are some basic guidelines to help you get started.
(If anyone spots any helpful additions or mistakes please let me know and I will EDIT)

External SD Card - Honeycomb, ICS & Jelly Bean

About Moving Apps, or not as is the case :sad:

Apps will not currently transfer to the SD card using the standard software on the 7 plus

If you install a third-party file explorer, Perhaps it is Astro File Manager, or ES File EXplorer. You find that you can read files from your SD card but you always get an error when you try to do a write operation, whether it's copy or move in, delete, or create a new directory.

But it works fine if you use the default file explorer. (My Files)

Turns out Google had for some reason since Honeycomb 3.2 decided to split the write permissions for the internal memory (the path of which is confusingly named /mnt/sdcard) and external SD card memory (the path being /mnt/sdcard/extStorages/SdCard) into WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE respectively.

Apps to SD

The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission.
Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...
meaning they only have read access to the card.

Before Honeycomb 3.2, apps only had to request for the permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and they would have write access to both the internal and external so-called "sdcard" sets of memory.
Now, apps have to request for WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE if they want to write to the external SD card, but many of them have not yet been updated to do so yet. This affects file managers / explorer / compression utility type apps most often because users would tend to use them to copy / move / zip files within the file system.

Moving files from Internal memory to SD card
you can still write to a mounted SD card via your PC,
using a USB connection to copy files to the SD card or edit any SD-card-stored files

you just can't do it from the tablet itself.
That means in an Android file manager utility like ES File Explorer, you'll be able to browse through the SD card and access its files,
but if you try to copy files to the SD card or edit any SD-card-stored files, you'll find those options to be grayed out and unavailable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saving your DCIM Camera photos :–

In the camera app go to the COG symbol (settings) – scroll down to STORAGE – select – chose memory card. DONE

Photograph albums from your pc (using your tab as a mass storage device) :-

Plug you Tab into the USB port of your pc – your desktop will come up with the following options (windows XP):-

Open device to view files
Sync digital files
Take no action

Select the first option – you pc will then recognise your tablet and the SD card as two separate storage areas – Open SD card –
you can now Drag and drop or copy and paste your albums directly onto the card.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music from windows media player libraries :- (assumes you have already ripped you music)
Connect you tab to the pc and open windows media player – your device will be recognised – in Sync set it to card.
Open your library – albums – drag and drop each album (or all albums in a list) to the sync area – sync. If you interrupt albums will only partly sync.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be careful to always eject hardware before disconnecting your Tab.

Tab Connected to PC with Kies = No "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows
(on the Tab, tap to goto HomeScreen, then disconnect Tab from PC)
Some 7 plus units default back to the home screen automatically

Tab shows on Windows 7 as "Portable Media Player" = No "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows

Tab shows on Windows 7 as "Removable Disk (H:)" for internal memory = The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows
(on the PC click the Safely Remove Hardware, Eject Samsung Tab, then disconnect Tab from PC)

Tab shows on Windows 7 as "Removable Disk (I:)" for external memory = The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows
(on the PC click the Safely Remove Hardware, Eject Samsung Tab, then disconnect Tab from PC)
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT5100 Note 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:07 PM (#2) User is offline   wrm 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationFife, UK
  • Device Size:7 Plus
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:3.2 Honeycomb

Hi many many thanks. I have had some success with drag and drop using my PC and music files also with my photos,this is freeing up a lot of space in the primary storage of tablet. Its a great pity that Samsung don't address this in there ops manual as I presumed you could do this directly on the tablet. Again many thanks for the time you spent. Any other tips on how to manage storage on the SD card will be appreciated. WRM.
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 7 Plus
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : 3.2 Honeycomb

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:16 AM (#3) User is offline   KarenH 

• Pip
  • LocationFlorida, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Do you know if there will be an update in the future to be able to move apps to the SD card... Kind of limits the amount of apps you can have...KarenH♥

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:08 PM (#4) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Has anybody tried to move MP3 music downloads to their SD card.
I tried today using my pc and the tab as a portable device, also using kies and neither worked.

Can someone confirm this for me so I can add/alter the Txt at the top of this topic for noobies.

Thanks.
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT5100 Note 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:44 AM (#5) User is offline   cvc221 

• Pip
  • LocationManila, Philippines
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Hi, I just bought my 7+ the other day.

Regarding inability to move apps to the SD Card, do you think that this is done knowingly by Samsung in order to curtail side loading of pirated/bad apps?

Can apps placed in the SD card via the PC work with the tab? If not, then I think the reason above seems more logical. Therefore we cannot expect Samsung to correct this perceived shortcoming.

What do you think?

Thanks for this site.

Carlos

Moderator Blast, on 01 February 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

SD CARD STORAGE – YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Here are some basic guidelines to help you get started.
(If anyone spots any helpful additions or mistakes please let me know and I will EDIT)

External SD Card - Honeycomb & ICS

About Moving Apps, or not as is the case :sad:

Apps will not currently transfer to the SD card using the standard software on the 7 plus

If you install a third-party file explorer, Perhaps it is Astro File Manager, or ES File EXplorer. You find that you can read files from your SD card but you always get an error when you try to do a write operation, whether it's copy or move in, delete, or create a new directory.

But it works fine if you use the default file explorer. (My Files)

Turns out Google had for some reason since Honeycomb 3.2 decided to split the write permissions for the internal memory (the path of which is confusingly named /mnt/sdcard) and external SD card memory (the path being /mnt/sdcard/extStorages/SdCard) into WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE respectively.

Apps to SD

The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission.
Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...
meaning they only have read access to the card.

Before Honeycomb 3.2, apps only had to request for the permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and they would have write access to both the internal and external so-called "sdcard" sets of memory.
Now, apps have to request for WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE if they want to write to the external SD card, but many of them have not yet been updated to do so yet. This affects file managers / explorer / compression utility type apps most often because users would tend to use them to copy / move / zip files within the file system.

Moving files from Internal memory to SD card
you can still write to a mounted SD card via your PC,
using a USB connection to copy files to the SD card or edit any SD-card-stored files

you just can't do it from the tablet itself.
That means in an Android file manager utility like ES File Explorer, you'll be able to browse through the SD card and access its files,
but if you try to copy files to the SD card or edit any SD-card-stored files, you'll find those options to be grayed out and unavailable.

Saving your DCIM Camera photos :–

In the camera app go to the COG symbol (settings) – scroll down to STORAGE – select – chose memory card. DONE

Photograph albums from your pc (using your tab as a mass storage device) :-

Plug you Tab into the USB port of your pc – your desktop will come up with the following options (windows XP):-

Open device to view files
Sync digital files
Take no action

Select the first option – you pc will then recognise your tablet and the SD card as two separate storage areas – Open SD card –
you can now Drag and drop or copy and paste your albums directly onto the card.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music from windows media player libraries :- (assumes you have already ripped you music)
Connect you tab to the pc and open windows media player – your device will be recognised – in Sync set it to card.
Open your library – albums – drag and drop each album (or all albums in a list) to the sync area – sync. If you interrupt albums will only partly sync.

Be careful to always eject hardware before disconnecting your Tab.

Tab Connected to PC with Kies = No "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows
Some 7 plus units default back to the home screen automatically

Tab shows on Windows 7 as "Portable Media Player" = No "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows

Tab shows on Windows 7 as "Removable Disk (H:)" for internal memory = The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows

Tab shows on Windows 7 as "Removable Disk (I:)" for external memory = The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" Icon shows

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:39 PM (#6) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

If anyone was hoping that this Apps to SD card issue would be resolved with ICS, you may need to think again.

Tab 2 users are now reporting the same problem
:sad:

so many ..... Unknown(SAD) Members :pardon:

SORRRY......................... I'm only the messenger

Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language