The Galaxy Tab Forum: Unable to install Galaxy Tab 8.9 on Windows XP machine - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unable to install Galaxy Tab 8.9 on Windows XP machine

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:33 AM (#1) User is offline   ronf 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members

I have two Windows XP Pro SP3 machines. My Galaxy Tab 8.9 installed fine on one, but generates an installation error on the other. It immediately classifies the Tab as an MTP device, but does not first recognize it as SAMSUNG_ANDROID. Attempted installation of the Tab fails with an error code (1). I assume it is a driver problem. I have removed the drivers and reloaded them drivers from the Samsung site, but without success. Updating the drivers results in an endless cycle, always ending in the same error code. I have tried installing Kies, which endlessly attempts to connect.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
Galaxy Tab 8.9 GT-P???? Android ????

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:34 AM (#2) User is offline   cat.scripter 

• Pip
  • LocationQuezon City, Philippines
  • Device Size:8.9
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

if the drivers installed fine on one machine, it should also be fine on the other. perhaps the machine that generates the error has some security software that prevents the drivers from installing properly. but that's just my guess. you know how your two machines are set up :-)

anyhow, you can try the following.

1. uninstall Samsung-related drivers from the Device Manager. if installation is defective, you will likely see a yellow exclamation mark next to the device in question. right-click on the item and select uninstall. do this for every samsung-related item with the yellow warning sign. then reboot pc.
2. reinstall the drivers.
3. try to connect your tab to pc.

if error comes up again, pls uninstall drivers again and restart machine. i highly suggest you install the latest version of Kies application, which also installs the drivers in one go. for one, you are assured that the correct and latest drivers are installed. secondly, should connection error persist, kies can automatically reinstall the drivers for you.

if your machine has a security suite like an anti-malware/firewall combo, please disable all real-time features before installing samsung drivers.

remember: a good rule is to reboot pc after driver installation, even if the install program does not ask for it. sometimes, refusal to connect can be solved by repeated start-ups. kies 2.0 will add 3 items to your start-up programs. when you boot up, make sure you see them in windows task manager, under running processes. granting the three programs are present, you can rest assured that kies has installed properly, and so did the usb drivers.

i am using windows 7, and my tab shows up as Portable Media Device when connected by usb. once you see your tab on windows explorer, you're in the game. you can now open the kies application to use the sync features.

remember: tab must appear in windows explorer (this means installation successful) before running kies. this is because kies may get hung up on finding your device if it is not yet connected to your machine. it happened in my case. i rebooted, connected tab to usb. when connection is established, i opened kies and it was immediately able to find my tab.

if you have questions, just reply. hope this helps.
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 8.9
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:47 PM (#3) User is offline   ~Paolo~ 

• PipPip
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Device Model Number:GT-P7300

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before but could not find the thread.

I was previously able to connect my tab (GT8.9)to my laptop with no problems. Earlier today, i connected my tab and my laptop detected the tab but when i opened a folder, the folder for the tab isn't there. i tried removing the usb cable and plugged back in and my tab seemed to think it is connected to the laptop (MTP Connection) noted on the tab (bottom left) but nothing on the laptop. i tried this a few times and nothing worked. Now, i no longer have that notification on the tab (MTP Connection) and cannot continue not to connect to my laptop. i tried this with 2 diff laptops with no luck. Any ideas? TIA...

btw, i dont think its a driver issue as it previously worked and nothing changed on my laptop or the other computer i was using. Thanks again... Have a great day...

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P7300

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:48 PM (#4) User is offline   ~Paolo~ 

• PipPip
  • LocationU.S.A.

btw, I'm running both laptop and PC with WIN XP SP3...

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:13 PM (#5) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

I have the same problem with my desktop. I have never succeeded in connecting the tablet. I get a message 'Cannot install this hardware....The required section was not found in the INF.'I'm running Windows XP SP3.Kies is, I believe,properly installed on the PC but does not resolve the problem.

Frank bookman

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:35 PM (#6) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationUK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.3 Gingerbread

This sounds like an "XP Drivers missing" problem....

Have you checked your PC Device Manager. to see if your Tab is installed, or if you have any "exclamation" errors showing, which would indicate that existing drivers are incompatible and not installed correctly ?

XP Drivers can be sought on this page link for most versions of Windows, and GTabs...

http://xpdrivers.com...CFQEd4Qodkj9F_w
Posted Image

Galaxy Tab 7" wifi & 3g (GT-P1000) Gingerbread 2.3.3

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:15 PM (#7) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

View Postcat.scripter, on 07 January 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

if the drivers installed fine on one machine, it should also be fine on the other. perhaps the machine that generates the error has some security software that prevents the drivers from installing properly. but that's just my guess. you know how your two machines are set up :-)

anyhow, you can try the following.

1. uninstall Samsung-related drivers from the Device Manager. if installation is defective, you will likely see a yellow exclamation mark next to the device in question. right-click on the item and select uninstall. do this for every samsung-related item with the yellow warning sign. then reboot pc.
2. reinstall the drivers.
3. try to connect your tab to pc.

if error comes up again, pls uninstall drivers again and restart machine. i highly suggest you install the latest version of Kies application, which also installs the drivers in one go. for one, you are assured that the correct and latest drivers are installed. secondly, should connection error persist, kies can automatically reinstall the drivers for you.

if your machine has a security suite like an anti-malware/firewall combo, please disable all real-time features before installing samsung drivers.

remember: a good rule is to reboot pc after driver installation, even if the install program does not ask for it. sometimes, refusal to connect can be solved by repeated start-ups. kies 2.0 will add 3 items to your start-up programs. when you boot up, make sure you see them in windows task manager, under running processes. granting the three programs are present, you can rest assured that kies has installed properly, and so did the usb drivers.

i am using windows 7, and my tab shows up as Portable Media Device when connected by usb. once you see your tab on windows explorer, you're in the game. you can now open the kies application to use the sync features.

remember: tab must appear in windows explorer (this means installation successful) before running kies. this is because kies may get hung up on finding your device if it is not yet connected to your machine. it happened in my case. i rebooted, connected tab to usb. when connection is established, i opened kies and it was immediately able to find my tab.

if you have questions, just reply. hope this helps.

Your detailed piece is very helpful. However, I've followed your advice carefully but so far without success. Kies is not really installing the driver, I think. Task Manager only shows two Kies programs. In Device Manager my tab is 'Unknown Device'. Any more ideas?

Frank bookman

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:06 PM (#8) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • LocationUK
  • Android Version:2.3.3 Gingerbread

Go and look on the link I gave.....and do a search by OS and Tab variant.....

You don't appear to have the correct drivers installed.....
Posted Image

Galaxy Tab 7" wifi & 3g (GT-P1000) Gingerbread 2.3.3

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:38 PM (#9) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

View Postwizz, on 03 July 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Go and look on the link I gave.....and do a search by OS and Tab variant.....

You don't appear to have the correct drivers installed.....

Their Driver Tool did not list Samsung among the 17 drivers they said I needed. In any case I know I have the latest Samsung driver. The problem is that Kies does not install it, though it thinks it has done. One possible reason is that in addition to MSE there are still elements of AVG anti-virus in the system, despite uninstalling it and using the AVG remover tool. The Belarc Adviser says the AVG is there and running realtime, and Windows Security Centre says there is more than one AV Programme. But there's no sign of AVG in Task Manager or Add and Remove programs. If it's there and uncontrolled I would have thought it would be liable to cause connectivity problems. As well as the AVG tool I have run the CCleaner registry tool.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:09 PM (#10) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

Still no progress. Have been working on deleting all elements of AVG in case this was blocking connection. (Security Centre still says that more than one av program is installed. Have used the uninstaller in AVG, the Revo and C Cleaner, and manually removed anything to do with AVG from my external HD backup.)
I never get as far as seeing a reference to the tab in Device Manager. Kies has reinstalled the driver several times.

Frank

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:54 PM (#11) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

AVG was not the cause of the trouble. I needed to clear the windows repository and a utility (ironically from AVG) enabled me to do that.

I have successfully connected the tablet to another PC but still not to the machine I mainly use.

Frank

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:43 AM (#12) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

View PostFrank bookman, on 16 July 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

AVG was not the cause of the trouble. I needed to clear the windows repository and a utility (ironically from AVG) enabled me to do that.

I have successfully connected the tablet to another PC but still not to the machine I mainly use.

Frank

well your Tabs fine if it connects to another PC, the problem is with your Main Machine,

try the following sequence on your Main Machine:-

1. try Un-Installing Kies again, start, control panel, add/remove programs, click Kies, Remove
next, start, My Computer, SYSTEM (C:), Program Files/Samsung, delete Kies Folder,

2. connect Tab to PC via USB cable, open Device Manager, expand 'Disk Drives' do you see any 'Android USB Device'
bottom of the list, expand 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' do you see 'USB Mass Storage Device'
if not, disconnect Tab from PC

3. open 'Regedit', start, run, type in regedit, OK, file, Export, 'Export range', select All, save as 'Registry Backup (todays date),
in 'Regedit' browse to :- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Samsung\Kies, highlight Kies, right click & delete,

4. reboot PC, try 2. above again (PC may auto download drivers, wait for drivers to install), if still no joy with connection or drivers,
download & install a fresh copy of Kies, but do NOT run it,
next, start, My Computer, SYSTEM (C:), Program Files/Samsung/Kies/USB Driver ..... expand that folder, click to run 'SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe'
check 2. above again
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM (#13) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

I've tried various suggestions from the Forum without success. Windows sometimes recognises the device but I get the following: 'There was a problem installing this hardware. Samsung Mobile MTP Device. An error occured during the installation of the device. The required section was not found in the INF.' Any ideas? I am running Windows XP Home.

Frank

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:08 PM (#14) User is offline   Frank bookman 

• PipPip

View PostFrank bookman, on 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

I've tried various suggestions from the Forum without success. Windows sometimes recognises the device but I get the following: 'There was a problem installing this hardware. Samsung Mobile MTP Device. An error occured during the installation of the device. The required section was not found in the INF.' Any ideas? I am running Windows XP Home.

Frank

I took this error message to a Microsoft support page. They suggested a 'clean boot' of the system. I did this with their help, but was still getting the error message in the clean state. At least I know the problem is not caused by security programs etc. But no further forward.

Frank

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:53 PM (#15) User is offline   ~Paolo~ 

• PipPip
  • LocationU.S.A.

View Post~Paolo~, on 20 June 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before but could not find the thread.

I was previously able to connect my tab (GT8.9)to my laptop with no problems. Earlier today, i connected my tab and my laptop detected the tab but when i opened a folder, the folder for the tab isn't there. i tried removing the usb cable and plugged back in and my tab seemed to think it is connected to the laptop (MTP Connection) noted on the tab (bottom left) but nothing on the laptop. i tried this a few times and nothing worked. Now, i no longer have that notification on the tab (MTP Connection) and cannot continue not to connect to my laptop. i tried this with 2 diff laptops with no luck. Any ideas? TIA...

btw, i dont think its a driver issue as it previously worked and nothing changed on my laptop or the other computer i was using. Thanks again... Have a great day...

Just an update. i simply had to buy another usb cable to make it work... :)

Please Edit your Profile

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox