The Galaxy Tab Forum: Screen not responding to touch - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screen not responding to touch Have to keep waiting / trying again

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:32 AM (#1) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBath & North East Somerset, UK
  • Device Size:10.1
  • Device Model Number:GT-P7510
  • Android Version:4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Hopefully the update to the promised Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System will fix this. It's getting rather annoying. It seems that the existing OS is too busy to respond to such simple requests as turning the page in a ebook. When I first got my 10.1 I was happy with it and wrote a review on my web site: My Review

Since then I've installed more apps and games and the tablet has become less responsive. Even when WiFi is disabled, and I've turned off everything else possible (e.g. prevented apps from updating themselves) there are pauses of several seconds while the screen responds to nothing at all.

The default Task Manager may show one app running (the one I'm trying to use). Switching to its RAM Manager and selecting Clear Memory has been tried. An app called Android OS Monitor shows CPU% (processor time) but there's nothing listed that looks suspicious, e.g. Android System 1%, System UI 1%. AVG Antivirus Pro says everything is OK.

I am pretty well convinced this is purely an Operating System issue and I'm anxiously awaiting ICS. I haven't seen any likely date for its release other than second quarter of 2012, so it could be April 2012 at least - unless anyone knows better.

Meantime I'll switch back to the new Stephen King book called 11/22/63 and will try to time some periods when it refuses to turn the page...

Attempt 1 - 6 seconds passed before I could change page
Attempt 2 - 9 seconds passed before I could change page

There are other times when it responds immediately. It just wants me to hang around while it goes and does unknown stuff that it won't tell me about. Sometimes I get fed up sliding my finger about or tapping repetitively and waiting for some response - so I give the power button a quick press Off then On. It invariably lets me enter my security code, then I can go back to my ebook or Tweetdeck (whatever) and be afforded the privilege of taking control again for a few seconds.

If Samsung doesn't get their corporate finger out I can see me buying an iPad 3... FWIW I'm a retired technician with years of experience at fixing computers that their owners have trashed with viruses etc.

Galaxy Tab Model : 10.1
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P7510
Android Version : 4.0.4 ICS

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:56 AM (#2) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

View PostDaveHenniker, on 05 January 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

Hopefully the update to the promised Ice Cream Sandwich Operating System will fix this. It's getting rather annoying. It seems that the existing OS is too busy to respond to such simple requests as turning the page in a ebook. When I first got my 10.1 I was happy with it and wrote a review on my web site: My Review

Since then I've installed more apps and games and the tablet has become less responsive. Even when WiFi is disabled, and I've turned off everything else possible (e.g. prevented apps from updating themselves) there are pauses of several seconds while the screen responds to nothing at all.

The default Task Manager may show one app running (the one I'm trying to use). Switching to its RAM Manager and selecting Clear Memory has been tried. An app called Android OS Monitor shows CPU% (processor time) but there's nothing listed that looks suspicious, e.g. Android System 1%, System UI 1%. AVG Antivirus Pro says everything is OK.

I am pretty well convinced this is purely an Operating System issue and I'm anxiously awaiting ICS. I haven't seen any likely date for its release other than second quarter of 2012, so it could be April 2012 at least - unless anyone knows better.

Meantime I'll switch back to the new Stephen King book called 11/22/63 and will try to time some periods when it refuses to turn the page...

Attempt 1 - 6 seconds passed before I could change page
Attempt 2 - 9 seconds passed before I could change page

There are other times when it responds immediately. It just wants me to hang around while it goes and does unknown stuff that it won't tell me about. Sometimes I get fed up sliding my finger about or tapping repetitively and waiting for some response - so I give the power button a quick press Off then On. It invariably lets me enter my security code, then I can go back to my ebook or Tweetdeck (whatever) and be afforded the privilege of taking control again for a few seconds.

If Samsung doesn't get their corporate finger out I can see me buying an iPad 3... FWIW I'm a retired technician with years of experience at fixing computers that their owners have trashed with viruses etc.

Replying to my own message here:

Update 18th Jan 2012: I've downloaded firmware update P7510XXKL2 and installed it. The reboot took so long I thought I'd better connect the power supply. Not many striking innovations but at least the damn thing now seems to respond to my touches and doesn't ignore me for many seconds any more. It's not Ice Cream Sandwich but it seems reasonably cool so far, nonetheless...

Update 21st Jan 2012: For a day or two everything was fast and responsive. Today it became slow and clunky again even after forcing a reset or two. The Screen needs repeated attempts - and touches (and non-existent) touches seem to be stored in a buffer and acted on minutes later - if at all. Luckily my Kindle has a keyboard and I was able to do a text search to find my place in my book which I'd been reading on the Galaxy Tab recently.

22nd January: This morning the slab is about as responsive as a paving slab. It doesn't matter if I force a reset, power off and on, or try to use Task Manager. It takes several attempts to even enter my four digit security code. Last night it took it upon itself to repeatedly open the wrong ebook, as well as jumping to random pages on the BBC News site. It's now even worse than it was before the firmware update P7510XXKL2.

Right now I would advise anyone considering buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to buy an iPad. It's as well I've got other computers and an iPod Touch.

Not happy.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:26 AM (#3) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationUK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.3 Gingerbread

Did you try a Factory Reset ?
Posted Image

Galaxy Tab 7" wifi & 3g (GT-P1000) Gingerbread 2.3.3
Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 wifi (SM-T310) Kitkat 4.4.2

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:30 PM (#4) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

View Postwizz, on 22 January 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Did you try a Factory Reset ?

The manual says: "Factory data reset: Reset your settings to the factory
default values and delete all your data."

If that means deleting the 26818 edited photos I copied from my PC as well as other documents then you might understand my hesitation. Another issue is the large collection of apps I've bought. Presumably I'd be able to download them all again without having to pay twice.

Right now it's become responsive once more. It's as if it's been doing some internal housekeeping in some process that's hidden from the default task manager or the one I downloaded called Android tablet OS Monitor. Because I'd tried disabling auto-update for apps, a check resulted in 18 updates plus 2 small (un-named) Samsung updates.

It seems it has good days and bad days without any explanation whatever. All the updates and all media files were scanned by AVG Antivrus Pro.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:44 PM (#5) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • LocationUK

You can copy your photo's back to your PC......and if you have obtained your Apps from The Android Market via your Gmail Account, you will be able to retrieve them all and re-install..

Bearing in mind, that it is probably one of these Apps that is causing you all the trouble :shok:
Posted Image

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:18 PM (#6) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

View Postwizz, on 22 January 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

You can copy your photo's back to your PC......and if you have obtained your Apps from The Android Market via your Gmail Account, you will be able to retrieve them all and re-install..

Bearing in mind, that it is probably one of these Apps that is causing you all the trouble :shok:

Looking at the apps usage I found that Facebook seemed to be resource-hungry so I uninstalled it and will just use the browser for Facebook (not a big fan). The task managers don't show what's really going on when the screen loses response for a few seconds.

I'm quite sure that if I did go to the hassle of a factory restore the tablet would be fast and responsive again - for a day or two. Meantime I keep waiting on an Operating System that works properly, and thinking about an iPad3. If it comes out with an SD card slot then I'll be sold.

When the Galaxy Tab slows to the point where it really pisses me off, I pick up my iPod Touch or go and use my desktop PC. If I leave the tablet alone for a few hours then quite often it gets more responsive for a while. It's too temperamental. If it was my only computer I would be very frustrated.

I've attached 3 images showing all the apps I have installed. If any knowledgeable person recognises any app as a rogue resource hog then please let me know. Somehow I don't think anyone knows all that much and it's just a well-meaning guessing game.

Attached File(s)

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:49 PM (#7) User is offline   Dave Henniker 

• PipPip
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

This evening, after a day of not using the tablet, it's responsive again. I've been updating my website using my desktop PC. No doubt it'll decide to sulk soon but at the moment it's fast and nippy!
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:22 PM (#8) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • LocationUK

Your Tab definitely has attitude ! :nea:
Posted Image

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:18 AM (#9) User is offline   Gregcccc 

• Pip
  • LocationVictoria, Australia
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

You do have a few problems.
It could be worse and it could have hit the floor like mine did...;)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:03 PM (#10) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

View PostGregcccc, on 26 January 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

You do have a few problems.
It could be worse and it could have hit the floor like mine did...;)

It did occur to me to smash it off a wall! Today it seems to be fairly responsive so far. I've just read something on another forum which I'll post as an image. It implies we might get the new Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system by the end of 2012...

I can see myself with an iPad if I've gotta wait that long. Reading between the lines, it seems that Samsung's own user interface TouchWiz sucks big time.

Attached File(s)

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:47 PM (#11) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

I googled TouchWiz and stumbled on this from Wikipedia "As of January 2012, no Android 3.1, 3.2 or Ice Cream Sandwich update for the 10.1V has been announced or confirmed, a 3.0.1 update was released in November 2011."

This is a little out of date as I have Android 3.2 installed. The Wikipedia page is here

I've included a screen shot of Android OS Monitor which shows a 'maXTouch cycle overflo' [sic]. This app didn't really show any busy CPU time when the screen was unresponsive so I've disabled its automatic startup (creates that grid-like icon next to the power saving icon)/

Attached File(s)

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:31 PM (#12) User is offline   Finkswitch 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorth Bay, Ontario
  • Device Model Number:GT-P7500 & GT-P7510

DaveHenniker,
That post refers specifically to the 10.1v, which isn't the same as the 10.1 you'll go out and buy at this point. The 10.1v is the version that was given out at a conference, I believe. It was released some time before the tab 10.1 that we now have, and a lot of changes have been made. The current batch of Tab 10.1s have an update for 3.2.

To your issue, looking at how many apps you've got installed, I would keep an eye on what's running in the background, and what you can disable. The Tab has limited resources, and the more you tax them, the slower it will get. If it's fine for a while after you restart, that sounds like one of your apps may be causing the issue.

To the System Restore, you can take all your files off your tab before you do this. I wipe and restore my tab relatively often (usually when I do something with it and break it), but I still don't remember to backup the data. I've lost several photos and documents because of this. It's a good idea to do a backup of the files on it periodically. You don't need to use Kies or anything for this, you can simply plug it in via USB and copy and paste the files off of it.

-Fink
Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 & GT P7510 Android 4.0.4 ICS

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:22 PM (#13) User is offline   Dave Henniker 

• PipPip

It's been behaving itself today. Maybe because I dumped the Facebook app. I've ordered the USB adapter from Amazon to see how file transfer is when the OS mounts an SD card.

Please Edit your Profile

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:52 PM (#14) User is offline   Barttos 

• PipPip
  • LocationTilburg, The Netherlands
  • Android Version:3.1 Honeycomb

Hee,
I also find my GT10.1 very slow. In fact, most of the time it is, whatever I'm doing. Browser is slow (also downloaded Dolphin HD, but no difference). Tab is often unresponsive, slow with turning pages. Not an exessive amount of apps running, and no difference when I kill them. Slight difference for Clear Memory, but for a short while.

Im running 3.1, Kernel 2.6.36.4-cyanogemod+ root@pershoot-ubuntu #1, Build number HMJ37.XXKG6 P7510XXKG6

Anyone has any thoughts/ideas?
Thnx in advance

Android Version : 3.1 Honeycomb

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:20 PM (#15) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

View PostBarttos, on 29 January 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Hee,
I also find my GT10.1 very slow. In fact, most of the time it is, whatever I'm doing. Browser is slow (also downloaded Dolphin HD, but no difference). Tab is often unresponsive, slow with turning pages. Not an exessive amount of apps running, and no difference when I kill them. Slight difference for Clear Memory, but for a short while.

Im running 3.1, Kernel 2.6.36.4-cyanogemod+ root@pershoot-ubuntu #1, Build number HMJ37.XXKG6 P7510XXKG6

Anyone has any thoughts/ideas?
Thnx in advance

Android 3.2 seems back to its original performance since I dumped the Facebook app 3 or 4 days ago. It's actually been a pleasure to use but how long will it last?

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:34 PM (#16) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • LocationUK

View PostDaveHenniker, on 29 January 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Android 3.2 seems back to its original performance since I dumped the Facebook app 3 or 4 days ago. It's actually been a pleasure to use but how long will it last?

Until you re-install the Facebook App ?
Posted Image

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:22 PM (#17) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

I will not be installing the Facebook app. I can access it via the browser should I wish to use it. I much prefer Tweetdeck (Twitter). Nevertheless I've enabled Facebook's Timeline view on my desktop PC despite the warnings about prospective employers (I've retired). Meanwhile the tablet continues to work fine... The Tracks app is rather good. I've exported a recent long walk to the web at this URL.

This map can be scrolled, zoomed and switched to satellite view.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:35 PM (#18) User is offline   Barttos 

• PipPip
  • LocationTilburg, The Netherlands
  • Android Version:3.1 Honeycomb

are you talking about the facebook app, or the FriendMe app?

Android Version : 3.1 Honeycomb

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:02 AM (#19) User is offline   DaveHenniker 

• PipPip

View PostBarttos, on 02 February 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

are you talking about the facebook app, or the FriendMe app?

I haven't come across the FriendMe app.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language