The Galaxy Tab Forum: Todays "GTAB - DID YOU KNOW" - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
  • 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Todays "GTAB - DID YOU KNOW" Helpful User tips from the Mods.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:39 AM (#41) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

Today's Did you know, How long does it take to charge a 10.1

It should charge within 2-3 hours while plugged in to a wall. You should get 6 hours of use before it dies on you, more if you've got all broadcasting turned off and the brightness turned down. If it's taking longer than that, you may have an issue with the device.

Thanks Moderator Finkswitch for that piece of information

:D ............

And Moderator Bart Laroc for this-
http://www.tomshardw...w-32289-11.html
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT-N5100 Note 8.0 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:17 PM (#42) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Today's Did you know, Sync your Galaxy Tab Calendar & Google Calendar

1. on your Tab, open the Tab Calendar

2. click "Settings", tap "Calendars", check username@gmail.com

3. return to "Settings" tap "Calendar sync" check "Background data", check Auto-sync"

4. tap username@gmail.com, check "Sync Calendar"

5. on your Tab, open the Tab Calendar

6. tap + (add event), add a "Test event" for tomorrow, ensure the "Calendar" (half way down page) has username@gmail.com selected
(NOT 'My Calendar', 'My Calendar' only saves events to the specific device it is on)

Now both google calendar and Galaxy Tab Calendar are sync'd with each other.

Another helpful tip from Moderator Bart Laroc :good: what would we do without him :clapping:
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT-N5100 Note 8.0 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:56 AM (#43) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Today's Did you know, The GOOGLE TALK APP

Your tab should come with the Pre installed App "talk"

This allows you to keep in touch with your Android friends for free and is a great alternative to txt messaging.

Load the shortcut onto your homescreen, for a quick and efficient way to contact your friends.

You can configure your settings easily on your pc first, using the free pc software and then load the additional software for both Video and Voice Chat on your tab and pc as well.

https://www.google.com/chat/video
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:27 PM (#44) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Today's Did you know, Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Transferring Media Content to/from PC :-

Thanks Bart Laroc :clapping:

EDIT- from recent questions being asked in the forum, I have noticed that people cannot find the files that they have transferred from their pc on their Tab.
When you have connected, open up your device fully and make sure you take the things you want to transfer into the correct sub location on your tab i.e your pictures Folder, Videos Folder or music Folder.
If you have an SD card , then save internal memory and open that drive up first and transfer your media into the correct folders directly onto your SD card. If you have named a photograph album, then that name will transfer across and appear in your gallery.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:40 AM (#45) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

How to edit your member details in the forum.

We kindly ask you to at least do your signature if nothing else, showing your model number.
See further below in red.

Your Settings
You can access your settings from any page by selecting your name at the top of the screen and then selecting Posted Image

Settings

General Settings
Time Zone
Here you can configure your time zone. This is necessary to ensure that times across the community are shown correctly.

Change Email Address
You can use this tool to change the email address that is associated with your account.

Change Password
You can use this tool to change the password that you use to log in.

Change Display Name
Depending on your permissions, you may be able to use this tool to change your display name which is used across the community.

Manage Notes
You may use this area to store any notes or information that you want to keep.

Manage Attachments
This page will show you all of the attachments you have uploaded to the community and the amount of space you have left. The bar at the top shows you how much of your allocated upload space you have used. Below this is a table containing information on all of the attachments you have submitted.

If you are running out of space, you can delete some old attachments by selecting the checkbox on the right-hand side of the table for the attachments you want to delete, and then pressing the Delete Selected button at the bottom of the table.

(you can also add attachments by inserting links to photo's Doc's etc for Picsa, Google Drive etc)

Notification Options
Privacy Settings
Here you can configure whether to subscribe to email updates from the board administrator, and whether to allow other members to send you emails

Notification Preferences
Here you can choose to disable your personal messenger, or configure how you would like to be notified when you receive a new message.

View/Posting/Email Prefs
Here you can configure how notifications are sent, enable automatic subscription to topics and change the layout for topic display.

Manage Watched Topics and Manage Watched Forums
Here you can see all of the topics and forums that you are currently subscribed to.

To change the type of notification or to unsubscribe, select the checkbox on the right-hand side of the table for the subscriptions you want to change, then select the new type from the dropdown menu at the bottom of the table, and then click with selected.

Your Notifications
Saved Notifications that you have received

Forums

Board Preferences
Board Display Settings
Here you can configure a number of options to control how forums and topics are displayed. You can disable viewing signatures, avatars and images in posts. You can also configure the number of posts and topics to display per page.

Manage Watched Topics
Here you can see all of the topics that you are currently subscribed to.

Manage Watched Forums
Here you can see all of the forums that you are currently subscribed to.

Manage Announcements
Here you can Manage or Add Announcements

Change Profile Information
Comments
Here you can configure settings related to profile comments, such as how you want to be notified when someone comments your profile and whether you want to approve new comments.

Friends
Here you can configure options related to your friends, such as how you want to be notified when someone adds you as a friend and whether you want to approve friend requests.

Profile Information
Here you can set your birthday and choose how many latest visitors to show on your profile.

Other Information
Here you can configure all other information that is shown on your profile.

Change About Me Page
Here you can change the content of the 'about me' section on your profile.

Change Signature
(Add your Galaxy Tab Model Number & Android Software Version)

Change Photo
Here you can change your photo that is displayed in your profile and other areas on the community.

Change Avatar
Here you can change your avatar which is the image that displays next to your posts.

Manage Ignored Users
Here you can manage your ignored users. You can choose to ignore all posts from a member, block them from sending you personal messages, or both.

To add a member to your ignored list, type their name into the "Member's Name" box. As you type, suggestions will appear below the box. When you see the name of the member you want to add, click on it. Then select either or both of the checkboxes below. Selecting "Ignore Personal Conversations" will mean they cannot send you messages and their messages in group conversations will be hidden, while "Ignore posts" will hide their posts in the forums. When you are ready, click Save Changes.

Some members, such as administrators, cannot be ignored.

If you wish to stop ignoring a member, select "Remove" in the table, or to switch on or off the different types of ignoring, click the relevant link under the "Ignore Posts" or "Ignore Messages" columns.

Manage Facebook Connect

Manage Twitter Connect

BART LAROC
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:06 PM (#46) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

App Malware in the Google Play store

for those that missed this first time round :sad:

http://blog.mylookou...mium-sms-fraud/
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:56 PM (#47) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Creating a desktop Folder for Apps on a Tab 2 7.0
and probably 10.1 as well

You can create a desktop folder by taking an icon by dragging it to the top of the screen and when the menu drops down, move the icon to the file folder icon and a folder will be created on your desktop with your app icon already inside. You can then name the folder by touching the folder, and then touching the area where it says Unnamed folder....

Thank you to AlexM555 for this nugget of information :good:

EDIT- 13/9/12 for some ICS versions, this may be the alternative way

http://www.thegalaxy...dpost__p__48751
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:08 PM (#48) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

One for our members with ICS.

Editing your Mini Apps Panel

Posted Image

NB. Samsung support say that you can actually only add from a very limited number of apps.

The comments below are from ICS Member BrianG and may further explain the limitations of this editing/customisation.
The mini apps appear to be specially-designed apps meant specifically for the mini app tray. For one thing, these apps are designed to appear on top of any currently running app, which is different than how every other app/widget works.

Even if the mini-app mirrors a regular app/widget, they initially look different. For instance, one of the mini apps is the task manager. If you call it up as a mini app, it looks different from the normal task manager unless you click the "maximize" button. which calls up the normal one.

So, I don't believe the mini app tray will ever allow regular apps/widgets to be added to it.

I guess it would be akin to trying to add any old program to the Windows system tray (where the clock area is) simply by dragging a program shortcut to it. The program simply has to be designed to have its state represented by a tray icon - if not, then it won't work. Yeah, I know that's Windows and this is Android, but I thought the analogy was similar.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:51 PM (#49) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

WiFi UPLOADING OF YOUR PHOTOS FROM YOUR CAMERA TO YOUR TABLET.
By using an Eye-fi x2 card

The following information has been provider by member Holmesteader :good: Topic thread reference http://www.thegalaxy...dpost__p__44716

https://play.google....S5hbmRyb2lkIl0.

http://www.amazon.co...sl_6w65i3eycw_b

http://uk.eye.fi/

It is worth reading the customer reviews at the bottom of this page to get a full picture of this product.

http://www.amazon.co...39514109&sr=8-1
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:21 AM (#50) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

WI-Fi Connection Problem Solutions (this is a list of solutions found on the Forum)

Reset Router
Check for Router software update (if its an old router)
Test alternative channels on the Router
Check Router Radio Band, Check Router Radio Mode (test alternative settings)
Check Router Security & Tab Security are the same (Open, WEP, WPA/WPA2 PSK, 802.1x EAP)
Is your Tab Mac Address "Permitted" on the Router Filter List
Check your Router Firewall Settings
Is the Router DHCP Pool set large enough for all your devices
(ie:- router ip 192.168.1.1 - router dhcp ip pool 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.10 would allow 9 devices)

*** special note *** Belkin Routers, try changing the lease on a Belkin Router from "Forever" to "30 days" (or your choice)

on your Tab
Try a "Static IP" (settings, Wireless & Network, Wi-Fi settings, Menu, Advanced)
check the box, Use static IP
on pc open "Command Prompt" enter ipconfig/all
on Tab
IP address, enter ip address within your router DHCP pool
Gateway, same default gateway as show in PC Command Prompt
Netmask, same Subnet Mask as show in PC Command Prompt
DNS 1, same first DNS Server as show in PC Command Prompt
DNS 2, same second DNS Server as show in PC Command Prompt

on the Tab, don't scan for available wi-fi, add your wi-fi manually, use the same security as the router settings
beware of Tab Auto-Caps when setting up connection

check out : Wifi Analyzer :- https://play.google....e=order_history

Some public networks are open to anyone, but you have to use the Browser app to find a login page that lets you access the network:
Simply browse to any page on the Internet, and the login page shows up.
if you have a static IP set, you may need to undo that for public networks

Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:54 AM (#51) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK

External SD Card - Honeycomb, ICS & Jelly Bean

About Moving Apps, or not as is the case :sad:

If you install a third-party file explorer, Perhaps it is Astro File Manager, or ES File EXplorer. You find that you can read files from your SD card but you always get an error when you try to do a write operation, whether it's copy or move in, delete, or create a new directory.

But it works fine if you use the default file explorer. (My Files)

Turns out Google had for some reason since Honeycomb 3.2 decided to split the write permissions for the internal memory (the path of which is confusingly named /mnt/sdcard) and external SD card memory (the path being /mnt/sdcard/extStorages/SdCard) into WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE respectively.

Apps to SD

The sdcard is mounted r/w, but the owning group is media_rw which is linked to the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission.
Unfortunately, this permission was not required for access to the external sdcard prior to 3.2 so most file management utilities do not request it when they run...
meaning they only have read access to the card.

Before Honeycomb 3.2, apps only had to request for the permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and they would have write access to both the internal and external so-called "sdcard" sets of memory.
Now, apps have to request for WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE if they want to write to the external SD card, but many of them have not yet been updated to do so yet. This affects file managers / explorer / compression utility type apps most often because users would tend to use them to copy / move / zip files within the file system.

Hopefully in the future, more apps would have been amended to include the necessary permission/security settings.
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:13 PM (#52) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

User tip for 7 plus users and other HC Dolphin HD users.

How to increase the font size on your browser :good:

Since the launch of the 7 plus there has been a thread running by some members unhappy at the size of their browsers font compared to other tab models they have used in the past. Unhappy is too put it mildly......

Well it's football season in the UK and I got bored, so here's the outcome for those of you who haven't discovered this already.

If you are using Dolphin HD to browse and are unhappy at the font size.....it can be changed.
Go into Dolphin menu and select web content.
Posted Image

Then select text size large
Posted Image

Next time you go into the browser, glasses will not be needed :good:

BEFORE
Posted ImageAFTERPosted Image

I would say a significant difference when seen on your Tab :)

This Dolphin add on may also be of interest and the maximum setting will take your font up another size again from the large available in the standard software. https://play.google....GV4dGFkanVzdCJd
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:43 AM (#53) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK

Forgot Screen Unlock Pattern or Code on Android?

1. Enter wrong pattern 5 times and wait for 30 seconds.
2. Select “Forgot pattern” and enter your gmail account username and password.
3. Make sure you use the same account that was used to activate the phone and double check the password by logging in to that Google account in a PC browser.
4. If you don’t have access to the original Gmail account, you will need to do a hard reset
http://www.thegalaxy...dpost__p__28971
and loose your settings and apps on the phone. The data on the memory card will not be wiped though.

Anti-Theft apps are able to protect from uninstall by disguising its components with various self-preservation techniques. On rooted phones it is able to survive hard-resets and can even disable the phone’s USB port.

This forum does not endorse tampering with devices that are not your own, the information above is for genuine owners only

Posted Image

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:00 PM (#54) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Back by popular demand

For Honeycomb users

Add items to the Home screen

You can customise the Home screen by adding shortcuts to
applications or items in applications, widgets, or folders.
To add an item to the Home screen,
1 From the Home screen, select the + sign
2 Select an item category.
●● Widgets: Add widgets. Widgets are small applications
that provide convenient functions and information.
●● App Shortcuts: Add shortcuts to applications.
●● Wallpaper: Set a background image.
●● More: Add shortcuts to items, such as bookmarks,
contacts, and maps.
●● Folders: Create a new folder or add folders for your
contacts.
3 Select an item to add to the Home screen.

Move items on the Home screen

1 Tap and hold an item to move until the Home screen grid
appears.
2 Drag the item to the location you want.

Remove items from the Home screen
1 Tap and hold an item to remove.
The trash bin appears at the top right of the Home screen.
2 Drag the item to the trash bin.
3 When the item turns red, release the item.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:43 AM (#55) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

FOR ICS users only.

Adding APP shortcuts to your Lockscreen.

I found this while surfing and thought it would be of interest.

http://www.everythin...ics-lockscreen/

Disclaimer - This Forum takes no responsibility for the actual content
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:47 PM (#56) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

Problems connecting your Tab to your pc

You may need to update your PC drivers

Samsung USB Driver v1.5.14.0 for Android Mobile Devices :- http://downloadcente...s_v1.5.14.0.exe

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:07 AM (#57) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK

64GB microSD cards

View Postmchan1, on 21 July 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Bought a genuine Sandisk 64GB Ultro MicroSD card which includes a SD card adapter.

Went online to find methods to format the microsd card as Galaxy Tab 7 Plus won't recognize it when I put it in the card slot.

Don't use Windows to format the card since it won't work because Windows won't format the card if it's over 32Gb which is the Windows limitation.

I waited over 2 hours for the card to be formatted before Windows put up an error message that it couldn't format the card due to the size restriction!!
Couldn't Windows have put up that message Before the formatting began since it IS a known Windows restriction?!

I had to reformat the microsd card back to ExFat32 since the Windows formatting wiped out the previous file structure!

Luckily, I found and used "EaseUs Partition Master Home Edition" :- http://www.partition...om/personal.htm , which is free!
It's very similar to Windows' Computer Management Disk Management function.

Put the card adapter with microsd chip into the SD card slot of your computer...
Open the program...
Select the drive for that specific card...
Right click...
Format...
Choose FAT32...
Begin...
In less than 30 seconds... it's done.
Goto WinExplorer and check the format of the card...
It should read FAT32.

My GT7+ now recognizes the microsd card with ~58Gb. :yahoo:

Since this is my first Android device, I'm still learning on how to Manually structure the folder directory of the MicroSD card (i.e. create folders... music, media, playlists, photos, etc...) as I've yet to learn how to use Samsung's Kies program.

Good luck! :)

Thanks to 'mchan1' for this guide

posted in : 64gb microSD cards (Galaxy Tab 7 Plus User Help & Solutions) :- http://www.thegalaxy...h__1#entry46415
Posted Image

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:32 PM (#58) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

HONEYCOMB USERS

Moving pictures from your DCIM or screen capture folder to another Existing Gallery App folder, using the standard OS and without using your pc.

If you are not transferring to an existing Gallery album, you will need to create some Stock blank albums first on you pc but once you have done that, further movements can be done on the Tab using MY FILES

I am using screen capture folder as my example but the steps are the same for the DCIM pictures. I am also moving to photo albums on my External memory, as that's where I save my photos.

Open my files - select DCIM (screen capture) folder - Select the picture you want to move - check the picture and then press the Scissors icon
Posted Image
Now press the ROOT DIRECTORY UP ARROW until it takes you too the new directory, In my case I will be transferring the photo to the album Test 1 on my SD card

Posted Image
Once the new album location has been selected, press the ROOT TREE icon

Posted Image
You photo will now have been moved to the new location

Posted Image
Now when you go into the gallery app, your photo will have been moved to the new album you have selected.

This answers a question raised by a forum member.
Alternatively, the QuickPic App can do this easily as well,

THE CHOICE IS NOW YOURS :good:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:37 PM (#59) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

For Tab 2's and HC android 3.2 users

HOW TO DISABLE (OR CHANGE function) of the SCREENSHOT MENU SOFTKEY

Tap "Settings", then "Display". Scroll to the bottom and tap "Quick Launch". Here you can disable this menu softkey altogether, or assign different functions instead: Applications, Search, or Camera.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:07 PM (#60) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK

One for our new TAB 2 Users

How to restore missing notification Icons in the Task bar

Just press menu in right bottom corner ( simple click on clock) and in pop up menu scroll to NOTIFICATION BUTTON just click it and it be appears like green . So now all active icons will shows in taskbar.

Thanks to member BullButcher for this solution
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language