The Galaxy Tab Forum: my Home and Google search button - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my Home and Google search button

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:25 AM (#1) User is offline   Akera 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSelangor, Malaysia
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Hello!!
i just bought my galaxy tab here~
i don't know what i just click but then, my home and google search button when i touch it, its only vibrational but nothing appears..can any of you help me? thank you! ^^
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:58 PM (#2) User is offline   ADOLFOHERNANDEZ 

• PipPip
  • LocationBogotá - Colombia
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1010
  • Android Version:2.2 Froyo

I have the exact same problem, the home button doesnt work at all and besides that It looks like the system has going back to the initial settings. :(

Well my friends now I fixed it, I just restore the conditions of the system to the original setup and the home button is working alright,nor my data was deleted so, everything is sweeeeet. cherioooo
Tab 7-Inch Original
GT-P1010 rooted
Android 2.2.1 FROYO.XWKB8
Kernel 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S608 #1

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:01 PM (#3) User is offline   Gainn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNear London, England
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

The home button only does something if you are not on the home screen. quite a few ppl have been confused by what it actually does... but try this..

hold the home button for a few seconds and see if anything pops up. if it does (normally a list of recent apps) then you know its working, but it might not be mapped to anything due to an app conflict.. do you have any non standard launchers installed?
---
for the lock-
go into Settings>location and Security>Set Screen Lock and select 'none'

then try locking and unlocking to see if it fixes it.
you could try setting up a password, pin or pattern lock also, but if the lock function is not working properly, then I'm not sure what might happen.
---
for the search button-
go into
Settings>Search>Searchable Items.. obviously if nothing was ticked that would be the problem, but if there are items ticked, then untick them all, and then retick all the ones you want it to search through. go back to the home page afterwards..

then hold down the 'search' button for a few seconds and see if it pops up an option to use google search..

you might have to restart the phone to get them to take, but not in all cases.

good luck.
Posted Image
Seek, and you shall find..
Use the SEARCH, and I'll be kind..

Galaxy Tab Model : 7-Inch Original
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P1000
Android Version : 2.3.6 Gingerbread

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:52 AM (#4) User is offline   Malicieux 

• Pip

Gainn, on 30 May 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

The home button only does something if you are not on the home screen. quite a few ppl have been confused by what it actually does... but try this..

hold the home button for a few seconds and see if anything pops up. if it does (normally a list of recent apps) then you know its working, but it might not be mapped to anything due to an app conflict.. do you have any non standard launchers installed?
---
for the lock-
go into Settings>location and Security>Set Screen Lock and select 'none'

then try locking and unlocking to see if it fixes it.
you could try setting up a password, pin or pattern lock also, but if the lock function is not working properly, then I'm not sure what might happen.
---
for the search button-
go into
Settings>Search>Searchable Items.. obviously if nothing was ticked that would be the problem, but if there are items ticked, then untick them all, and then retick all the ones you want it to search through. go back to the home page afterwards..

then hold down the 'search' button for a few seconds and see if it pops up an option to use google search..

you might have to restart the phone to get them to take, but not in all cases.

good luck.

I have the mentioned problem - home key and search key just pressable (I get the vibrant feedback) but they do nothing. It happens for the second time - galaxy tab (p1010) doesn't wake up and after rebooting, it's restored to original desktop icons and arrangement, and all apps are alphabetically sorted..and the home and search keys aren't responsive. First time I did factory reset, and it was ok. I guess the period is about the same. after the first occurance. I looked at the keymap inside /system/usr/keylayout/touchscreen.kl - it seems ok. Tried to switch the menu and home keymapping, but nothing happened, but probably it doesnt work because I just put the file there from an email attachment ..I might have used push to actually set it there.
By the way, as you mentioned, I set a lock pattern and just now I realized it doesnt set at all.
Any ideas?

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:28 PM (#5) User is offline   acidburn_1982 

• Pip

i was having the same problem also home key and search key not working and even the screen lock. it happened from the first time i downloaded apps for my tab. I remember one time it came back to normal but after sometime its not functioning well again.

yeah i tried also to restore factory settings many times and it came back to normal but i have to download apps again :(

I dunno maybe its one of the defects of tab they didn't anticipate..

crap...

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:37 PM (#6) User is offline   Gainn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

I posted some fixes for the home button yesterday, the search button is something totally different tho..

gimme a min and I'll find the post..

here > http://www.thegalaxy...een-not-working

try that for home button..

search button... ok.. one possible thing is that it wont work if you have the google search widget on the homescreen you are looking at.. try a screen without it and it will work..

if thats not it, then go into the market search for 'google search' and update it.. that might re-enable the button..
Posted Image

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:25 AM (#7) User is offline   jedited 

• Pip

I own the wifi only (P1010) Galaxy Tab. I have the same problem thrice this week. The samsung screen appeared and i cannot get my device to activate, so I did a force shutdown and rebooted the device. The result was my lockscreen was not working, home and google search soft touch button did not work but vibrates, it reset my launcher icons to default, arranged my apps in alphabetical order and some of my custom preferences was back to default.. The first time it occurred, about a week ago, I reset my gtab to default setting and I thought I got rid of that problem until last night, the second occurrence, I also did a reset. And today, the same problem happened (for the third time this week, twice in 24 hours), so I thought what the hell? I thought of upgrading the firmware but I read that it would result to a brick tab. Anyway, I tried to backup my data, so I connected it to my pc and the device connected with Kies.. And Guess what??? As I turn off Kies, which requires to touch the home button (to get out of kies), The problem got solved!! My lockscreen and buttons are now working!!!

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:03 PM (#8) User is offline   Gainn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

connecting to kies often fixes minor bugs.. it must be something to do with the interrogation process it uses to find the phone number/storage etc..

never been able to find out why, and Samsung dont want to tell..
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users