I bought the 7 inch tab in India for my wife. When we brought the Tab home and put in her Vodafone SIM card, it refused to detect the same. We tried with some more SIM cards (Vodafone and Airtel) but it refused to detect them too. So we took the Tab back to the shopkeeper. He also tried with a couple of SIMS and finally it worked with a BSNL SIM. At that time, BSNL was the only provider that had 3G in my town and he said that this will only work with BSNL. I didn't know any better so we took a BSNL 3G connection and all was peachy keen. Recently, Idea 3G was launched in my town so we took an Idea 3G connection as the BSNL 3G was pathetically slow. Once again the Tab refused to detect the SIM. We took the Tab to the Idea office and they fiddled with it for more than an hour and finally came to the conclusion that for some reason the Tab is locked to BSNL. We were advised to take the Tab to the Samsung service center. So we did that and even the engineer at the service center was stumped. He tried a firmware update but that did not fix the problem. Since then he's also been giving us the runaround and its been now 2 months since I bought this Tab and I can't use it with any SIM card other than BSNL. I've written to Samsung customer care as well and sent them emails but so far nothing has come of it. Can anybody here please help me out.
Here are some more specifics of the problem:
- If you put in any SIM other than BSNL, in the top part of the screen where the network bars are shown, we get a circle with a cross.
- If we try to manually select a network we get the message "This SIM card does not allow a connection to this network".
- Strangely however, even though we cannot make or receive calls other than with a BSNL SIM, the 3G data connection works even with the Idea SIM.
- The Galaxy Tab was bought in India itself from an authorized Samsung retailer so there is no reason why it should be locked to a particular carrier.
Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum
|Guest Message by DevFuse|
Page 1 of 1
The curious case of an Indian Galaxy Tab Galaxy tab seemingly locked to BSNL
- ← edit quick launch toolbar
- Galaxy Tab Original 7-inch User Help & Solutions
- Sprint P100 Tab Android Market Connection Errors →
Share this topic:
Page 1 of 1
|Topic||Forum||Started By||Stats||Last Post Info|
|galaxy tab p1010 screen no display||Galaxy Tab Original 7-inch Development & Roms||mtary||
|Need help finding case/screencover||Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Games, Apps, Accessories & Themes||atomarchio||
|US Cellular Galaxy Tab - Gingerbread Update||Galaxy Tab News||Fallstar||
|Galaxy Samsung Tab 2 7.0 New tablet will not charge||Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 User Help & Solutions||MommaQ||
T-Moble Galaxy Tab
flash files download link
|Galaxy Tab Original 7-inch Development & Roms||wisdomseeker||