The Galaxy Tab Forum: Touch Screen sensitivity issue - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
  • 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Touch Screen sensitivity issue Looks like there is noise in sensing the touch

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:24 PM (#1) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members

Hi all,

I have a fully functioning Galaxy Tab P1000 device and I'm very happy about it. There is one single problem that affects my user experience, specially in apps in which I have to scroll down the screen, like browsers (and many other apps). I showcase the problem in a domain that I own (www.fgfaria.com) and in picture and video below.

I've tried to take it back to the store where I bought it, but all other units they had there had the same issue!! (probably something related to that lot of products acquired by the store).

I have all reasons to believe it's a hardware problem, except that it doesn't happen in youtube app, when scrolling down the list of videos. Anyone has any idea on a fix or workaround?

This is the result of my attempt to draw a grid in a drawing app:

Posted Image

This is the behavior I'm referring to:

Thanks!
Fabio

Galaxy Tab Model : 7-Inch
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P1000L
Android Version : 2.2 Froyo

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:28 PM (#2) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

Hi,

I have got the same issue yesterday, just after updating my tab's version to 2.3.3 . But fortunately the problem has gone today. I don't get any visual vibration any more. I'm also almost sure that this is the issue of HW but not for specific ones. If you have still the same issue, without turning off the tab, wait for one day and observe it.

I'd like to hear what your tab's current status is: Still have you the same problem?

Oezkan

Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P1000
Android Version : 2.3.3 Gingerbread

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:14 PM (#3) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

View Postflyspy, on 31 May 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

Hi,

I have got the same issue yesterday, just after updating my tab's version to 2.3.3 . But fortunately the problem has gone today. I don't get any visual vibration any more. I'm also almost sure that this is the issue of HW but not for specific ones. If you have still the same issue, without turning off the tab, wait for one day and observe it.

I'd like to hear what your tab's current status is: Still have you the same problem?

Oezkan

Hi Oezkan, thanks for your reply!
unfortunately this is a problem I have since when I bought the device. I didn't give this much importance at first, but after some time it started to bother me. I have factory resetted the device a couple of times already, and it didn't get better.

I'm actually waiting for an official release of gingerbread to be made available in my country to proceed with the update. If after the update the problem persists, I'm considering calling the warranty service, but I'm afraid this will not be considered a "real" problem.

I'll notify here how it behaves after the update.
Thanks!
Fabio

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:44 PM (#4) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

View PostFabioFaria, on 31 May 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

Hi Oezkan, thanks for your reply!
unfortunately this is a problem I have since when I bought the device. I didn't give this much importance at first, but after some time it started to bother me. I have factory resetted the device a couple of times already, and it didn't get better.

I'm actually waiting for an official release of gingerbread to be made available in my country to proceed with the update. If after the update the problem persists, I'm considering calling the warranty service, but I'm afraid this will not be considered a "real" problem.

I'll notify here how it behaves after the update.
Thanks!
Fabio

Hi Fabio,

Before updating to gingerbread, I didn't discern this problem. After update, I have observed this issue.
If I don't do anything with the tab for a while, the visual noise decreases but then it starts again. Yesterday, I rolled back to the original FW version but the result is same.
I've googled to find whether there is a calibration for touch sensitivity, but it looks it is not yet possible.
I'm quite sensitive for this kind of things. If it continues, I will try to give my tab back.

Take care,

Oezkan

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:48 PM (#5) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

Hi Oezkan,
it's sad to hear that. I have the hope that it gets better with the upgrade, let's see.
I dont't think there is any kind of calibration, but I was hoping there was some kind of filter to be run in background. If Youtube app can stabilize the screen, even if it is a HW problem, it's possible to be fixed via software.
But unfortunately I didn't find any mention in internet to this problem, apart from you. There is probably no demand for this type of app.
Regards,
Fabio

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:45 PM (#6) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

Hi Oezkan,

I've tried an app called touchscreen booster, which appeared to be appropriate from its description, but didn't notice any difference.

But there is a very intriguing point. I have installed touch test app, and with that the touch is perfect, no shaking.

I need to find out why it happens pretty much everywhere, but not on youtube app and touch test apps.

There is a similar post in XDA: http://forum.xda-dev...98#post14340998

Regards,
Fabio

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:25 PM (#7) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

Hi Oezkan,

I've found another promising app, which I'm not able to use now because my GT is not rooted. If yous is, check it out. It's called "ILITEK Touch Utility".
Looks like it has several features to test and try to solve the problem.
Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Fabio

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:14 AM (#8) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

Hi all,

In addition to touch test apps and youtube app, there are some other apps that don't present the problem. One specific interesting case is the one of the HelloListView tutorial presented in Android Developers website.

I've followed the tutorial, and created this illustrative app that just creates a list and allows you to scroll up and down. This specific app doesn't present the problem we've been discussing. I've made it available for download as apk file in the end of that same testing page (http://fgfaria.com)

That application being so simple and not presenting the problem, and the other apps that also don't present it, makes me think that the problem may appear when some specific library gets included in an app. Possibly something related to hardware acceleration, for example (just guessing, no specific reasons to believe that).

If only we could isolate the cause of the problem, we could notify Google and/or Samsung and influence a new patch release.

This is as far as I have gone so far. Ideas, reactions?

Regards,
Fabio

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:05 PM (#9) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

View PostFabioFaria, on 01 June 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

Hi Oezkan,
it's sad to hear that. I have the hope that it gets better with the upgrade, let's see.
I dont't think there is any kind of calibration, but I was hoping there was some kind of filter to be run in background. If Youtube app can stabilize the screen, even if it is a HW problem, it's possible to be fixed via software.
But unfortunately I didn't find any mention in internet to this problem, apart from you. There is probably no demand for this type of app.
Regards,
Fabio

Hi Fabio,

what suprises me is, objects are flickering during touching on the screen, when the backround is white, ie system settings, android market, browser, und etc.. I don't observe the issue if the the backround is an other color like youtube or the test program you have mentioned.

Oezkan

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:12 PM (#10) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

View PostFabioFaria, on 01 June 2011 - 07:25 PM, said:

Hi Oezkan,

I've found another promising app, which I'm not able to use now because my GT is not rooted. If yous is, check it out. It's called "ILITEK Touch Utility".
Looks like it has several features to test and try to solve the problem.
Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,
Fabio

Hi,

I have tried the touch utility. It is possible check track of finger moves on the screen. Then I have seen that actually the screen touch function is working perfectly. And some functions are not compatible or not allowed for GT.

Oezkan

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:26 PM (#11) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

Hi Fabio,

I cannot surely say, this is a HW or SW problem but it looks like SW. In case I get something new, I will share with you.

Regards,

Oezkan

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:51 PM (#12) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

View Postflyspy, on 02 June 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

Hi Fabio,

what suprises me is, objects are flickering during touching on the screen, when the backround is white, ie system settings, android market, browser, und etc.. I don't observe the issue if the the backround is an other color like youtube or the test program you have mentioned.

Oezkan

Hi Oezkan,
you are damn right!!! I hadn't thought about this! I tried a web page with black background, and the browser didn't jitter at all!
Youtube is black background, touch test apps and the list app are all black backgrounds. Most web pages and the configuration menu are white backgrounds... they all shake!
So we are making progress here!

The only drawback is that it can be a hardware issue (it could be fixed by software by applying some filter, but luminosity is likely to affect hardware, more than software).

I'll keep looking and let you know if I find out anything else...

Regards,
Fabio

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:58 PM (#13) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

Hallo everyone,

I think it is good to compare some information about our systems and maybe we can find out something:

My Tab has:
SN: R21B175264X
Model Number: GT-P1000
FW: 2.3.3
Basebandversion: P1000XXJPZ
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7 se.infra@SEP-52 #2
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXJQ1

Regards,

Oezkan

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:19 PM (#14) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

My device specs are:

Model Number: GT-P1000L
FW: 2.2.1
Basebandversion: P1000LVJJMA
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9rlemos@rlemos-linux #6
Build number: FROYO.VJJMG

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:59 AM (#15) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

Hallo Fabio,

I have found two interesting things:

1: in telephone screen if *#0*# are pressed, the LCD Test screen appears. There are some tests including touch test available. I get very similar drawing with yours by applying this test.

2: look at this page: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=844216
It seems there is a posibility to set some behaviour of touch screen. We have to think on it :D

In my opinion, during installation of android, the system checks and calibrates touchscreen and touchnoise. I think it is why some guys have flickering issue after updating their tabs. Because their installing condition, ie temperature, is not same with of factory. I dont remember also, before update, I had such a problem.

If we can access to that routine we can solve the problem. Maybe at this moment we can ask help of someone :)

Oezkan

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:11 AM (#16) User is offline   FabioFaria 

• PipPip

Thanks for sharing this Oezkan, this looks like a promising route!
I've checked the thread you mentioned, but unfortunately it's not for Galaxy Tab, right? I couldn't find the specific folder they are applying changes to, but I like that approach, and there may be something similar to that in GT.

I have also seen people adding a ts.conf file to a specific path, as a way to implement a jitter filter ( http://www.slatedroi...ts/page__st__60 ), but with mixed results.

Unfortunately I think my options will be limited unless I root my GT. I'm trying no to do it, as I'm afraid it can void my warranty. Either way, I'll keep looking, and will share whatever new finding.

Regards,
Fabio

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:15 PM (#17) User is offline   flyspy 

• Pip

View PostFabioFaria, on 04 June 2011 - 05:11 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing this Oezkan, this looks like a promising route!
I've checked the thread you mentioned, but unfortunately it's not for Galaxy Tab, right? I couldn't find the specific folder they are applying changes to, but I like that approach, and there may be something similar to that in GT.

I have also seen people adding a ts.conf file to a specific path, as a way to implement a jitter filter ( http://www.slatedroi...ts/page__st__60 ), but with mixed results.

Unfortunately I think my options will be limited unless I root my GT. I'm trying no to do it, as I'm afraid it can void my warranty. Either way, I'll keep looking, and will share whatever new finding.

Regards,
Fabio

Hallo Fabio,

I haven't found anything really valuable to set the touch sensitivity.
By pressing *#*#2663#*#* touch screen version appears. There is an option to update the TSP FW but it hasn't changed anything for our issue.
On page, http://android-dls.c...laxy_Essentials , you can see some codes for testing but not for setting :(

Have you reported this issue to samsung ?

Oezkan

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:59 PM (#18) User is offline   Esthreel 

• Pip

I also have the same problem, But I thought it was related to custom kernels...
Please edit your profile .... Signature

ADD :- your Galaxy Tab Model & Number with your Android Version .... My Galaxy Tab

Galaxy Tab Model : Not Stated
Galaxy Tab Number : Not Stated
Android Version : Not Stated

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:56 AM (#19) User is offline   DaDogs 

• Pip
  • Locationlloilo City, Philippines
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.3 Gingerbread

hello guys. same problem here, just upgraded my galaxy tab GT-P1000 from 2.2 froyo to 2.3.3 gingerbread last nyt and i got this shakey screen problem immediately after i upgraded it. the firmware itself is pretty smooth but the problem just pisses me off.btw heres my specs

GT-P1000
P1000XXJPZ
2.6.35.7 se.infra@SEP-52 #2
GINGERBREAD.XXJQ1

please make this topic updated.
any help would be appreciated.TNX

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:33 AM (#20) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

View PostDaDogs, on 05 December 2011 - 05:56 AM, said:

hello guys. same problem here, just upgraded my galaxy tab GT-P1000 from 2.2 froyo to 2.3.3 gingerbread last nyt and i got this shakey screen problem immediately after i upgraded it. the firmware itself is pretty smooth but the problem just pisses me off.btw heres my specs

GT-P1000
P1000XXJPZ
2.6.35.7 se.infra@SEP-52 #2
GINGERBREAD.XXJQ1

please make this topic updated.
any help would be appreciated.TNX

how did you upgrade ? - via Samsung Kies update, a stock Rom or a custom rom via Odin
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language