The Galaxy Tab Forum: Rooting the Tab-S 10.5" -- ? - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rooting the Tab-S 10.5" -- ? Seeking tested, reliable, step-by-step rooting instructions

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:12 PM (#1) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Device Size:Tab S 10.5
  • Device Model Number:SM-T800
  • Android Version:4.4.2 KitKat

Hi ho, Tab-S 10.5 owners. As the Topic Title and Topic Description above indicate: Anybody know of a trustworthy, known-good, step-by-step instruction procedure which, if followed carefully, will result in root access to these tablets?
Magnificent slab of technology though it is, the Tab-S 10.5 does come with a glut of unnecessary, self-perpetuationg bloatware that I'd prefer to uninstall. Anyone got any leads?

Galaxy Tab Model : Tab S 10.1
Galaxy Tab Number : SM-T800
Android Version : 4.4.2 KitKat

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:52 PM (#2) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Well, okay, since no-one has responded to my post so far, I'll reply myself. I see that a few of the members over at the XDA forum have begun to develop some tools & methods & files necessary for rooting the Tab-S, and I see further that some posters over at that forum report that they have accomplished the task successfully. The procedure, as I understand it, requires the following preparatory steps, not necessarily in this order: you must have the latest version of ODIN installed on your PC; you must have the requisite Samsung drivers installed on your PC; you must locate the device-specific *.tar file somewhere on the internet and have it downloaded on your PC so that you can flash it onto the Tab-S, using ODIN; you must boot your Tab-S into download mode; you must have a reliable USB-to-microUSB cable that can make a PC-to-Tab-S connection, and you must hook up that connection at the appropriate point in the procedure. Then, once you've got all that stuff lined up and ready to roll, you must carefully follow a short sequence of moderately intimidating-sounding hardware and software manipulations on both the PC and on the Tab-S -- that is, buttons toggled and menu choices selected on the Tab-S, boxes ticked and dialogues clicked on the PC, and so on. Achievable stuff, quite possibly, but not for the faint of heart, not when a mis-step might "brick" your shiny new $500 Tab-S. Oh, and those good XDA whizkids talk about it so breezily!
So you can see why I am asking for support here, or you can see why I'd at least like to get my hands on a practicable, trustworthy, step-by-step tutorial that would be serviceable for someone new to rooting. Nobody out there's interested?

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:03 AM (#3) User is offline   ThatTabGuy 

• Party Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationNew York U.S.A.
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

I don't think that its because no one is interested, I think its because there are not too many of our members who have the same or similar device as yourself. :nea:

I find that most (if not all :pardon:) come to ask for a less technical answer to a general problem they might have. I also find XDA to be WAY to technical for some here. :shok: A lot of the information and advice would drive the average novice loco :wacko:
For me, its fine since I'm a little more...adventurous then some. :aggressive:

That being said, until someone who has a like device is willing to try it, I doubt we will see someone respond.

Therefore, since you have been kind enough to do the research, perhaps after you've successfully rooted your tablet, you may post a tutorial of your own, pending the Moderators' approval. :good:
The steps you've outlined so far are quite the common methods for achieving root privileges.

Let us know how you get on...

Posted Image

^^This was my daily driver.
Good times.................................

Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T800 Stock with Lollipop 5.0.1 (Awesomeness!!!)
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113, Rooted CM12.1 5.1 Lollipop with Philz TouchWiz custom recovery x2
Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Stock 4.4.4 KitKat (wife's tablet)
Galaxy Note 4, Stock 6.0.1 Lollipop x2

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:16 AM (#4) User is offline   Spikes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNelspruit RSA
  • Device Model Number:I9500 4,4.2rooted; SM-P605 4,4,4rooted; SM-N910F 5.0.1

You have all the right info. The last step's care is crucial (that is from when you connect to the PC in Odin) Follow those steps in the correct given sequence. Lastly check the "checksum" of your download if provided before you try the root.

This post has been edited by Spikes: 24 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Note 10.1 2014 LTE/WiFi
SM-P605 rooted
Android 4.4.2 stock Nordic

I9500 rooted Stock 4.4.2

SM-N910F 4.4.4

If you don't need 4x4, the track ain't worth driving

www.ladanivaza.co.za

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:02 PM (#5) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View PostThatTabGuy, on 24 July 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

I don't think that its because no one is interested, I think its because there are not too many of our members who have the same or similar device as yourself. :nea:

I find that most (if not all :pardon:) come to ask for a less technical answer to a general problem they might have. I also find XDA to be WAY to technical for some here. :shok: A lot of the information and advice would drive the average novice loco :wacko:
For me, its fine since I'm a little more...adventurous then some. :aggressive:

That being said, until someone who has a like device is willing to try it, I doubt we will see someone respond.

Therefore, since you have been kind enough to do the research, perhaps after you've successfully rooted your tablet, you may post a tutorial of your own, pending the Moderators' approval. :good:
The steps you've outlined so far are quite the common methods for achieving root privileges.

Let us know how you get on...

Yeah, you're probably right, on all counts. The Tab-S is so new that there probably aren't hundreds and hundreds of owners out there yet, not on this forum, and, consequently, even fewer owners on this forum who've taken the plunge to rooting. Related point: I gather that new Tab-S owners are concerned about voiding the warranty of the Tab-S if they root it, so maybe a lot of of 'em are waiting to do any deep tinkering till that 1-year warranty is expired anyway. In any case, thank you for your observations. Clearly, you speak from experience, and your counsel of patience is no doubt wise. As for the XDA guys and gals, yeah, they're all developers, presumably, so, obviously their expertise and their knowledge is lightyears ahead of mine. Most times I can just barely work out the gist of their threads -- certainly not well enough to cobble together for myself, from their breezy short-hand obscurity, a fail-safe set of steps to carry out.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:10 PM (#6) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View PostSpikes, on 24 July 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

You have all the right info. The last step's care is crucial (that is from when you connect to the PC in Odin) Follow those steps in the correct given sequence. Lastly check the "checksum" of your download if provided before you try the root.

Yeah, thanks, Spikes. I do feel like I've got maybe 96% of the necessary paraphernalia assembled and ready to roll. And yes, I do know about validating the checksum of the *.tar file -- thanks for the reminder, though (got a checksum checking program waiting in the wings, so to speak). But, jeez, no matter how nearly ready I am, I'd still feel a lot more secure about rooting this nifty tablet if there were a few forum members who had taken the plunge successfully, and who might be able to lend support about details, technicalities, how-to's, whatnot. But thanks for the pat on the back. I will keep you all posted, of course -- but I suspect I will not be the first, in this forum or any other, to root.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:04 AM (#7) User is offline   Spikes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNelspruit RSA
  • Device Model Number:I9500 4,4.2rooted; SM-P605 4,4,4rooted; SM-N910F 5.0.1

To be quite honest,the actual rooting process came as a bit of a anticlimax. But it was worthwhile just to be rid of the bloatware. Rooted my P5100 after 8 months ownership. I then ran it with a stock android rom. Only loaded a custom rom once the contract with Vodacom expired and I had my new note 10.1. Having great fun testing the various custom roms.

Note 10.1 2014 LTE/WiFi
SM-P605 rooted
Android 4.4.2 stock Nordic

I9500 rooted Stock 4.4.2

SM-N910F 4.4.4

If you don't need 4x4, the track ain't worth driving

www.ladanivaza.co.za

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:07 AM (#8) User is offline   ThatTabGuy 

• Party Moderator
  • LocationNew York U.S.A.
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature

I too tried various custom roms for my device, but some didn't have the features I wanted. So I stuck with the original and just removed the bloatware. Works for me. :pardon:
Posted Image

^^This was my daily driver.
Good times.................................

Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T800 Stock with Lollipop 5.0.1 (Awesomeness!!!)
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5113, Rooted CM12.1 5.1 Lollipop with Philz TouchWiz custom recovery x2
Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Stock 4.4.4 KitKat (wife's tablet)
Galaxy Note 4, Stock 6.0.1 Lollipop x2

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:52 AM (#9) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View PostSpikes, on 26 July 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

To be quite honest,the actual rooting process came as a bit of a anticlimax. But it was worthwhile just to be rid of the bloatware. Rooted my P5100 after 8 months ownership. I then ran it with a stock android rom. Only loaded a custom rom once the contract with Vodacom expired and I had my new note 10.1. Having great fun testing the various custom roms.

Yup, same here -- the results of rooting were for me, too, fairly anticlimactic. I rooted an old Samsung Epic 4G phone a couple years ago, following videos & links posted by a terrifically helpful fellow whose on-line moniker is QBKing77. The process couldn't have been smoother, or better substantiated; but as you say, the main benefit was gaining the ability to delete unwanted apps. On that note, incidentally, I found the app called Root App Delete to be useful. It knows all kinds of handy tricks, including grubbing out peripheral files that are sometimes left over from uninstalls. Anyway, after the rooting went so smoothly, I decided to try my luck with two or three custom ROMS over the following months. One was called Slim something, which claimed to yield better battery life, but it glitched up some operations, so I ditched it almost right away. The other ROMS were adequate, fun to try, and to compare, but nothing turned out to be appreciably better than the stock OS. Got a feeling that'll be the case again, if I ever get around to rooting the Tab-S. ...It's just that the dad-burned bloatware is so annoying, and taken all together, so large, and the recurrent updates of the bloatware apps are just so friggin' incessant !

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:02 PM (#10) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View PostThatTabGuy, on 27 July 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

I too tried various custom roms for my device, but some didn't have the features I wanted. So I stuck with the original and just removed the bloatware. Works for me. :pardon:

Yup, same here, ThatTabGuy. (See my reply to Spikes, below, or maybe above.) After rooting and ROMming just a bit, the end result was that I ditched the bloat and went back to the stock OS, occasionally fiddling, at most now, with an alternative launcher or two. But hey, on the Tab-S, there's not much to dislike, apart from the monstrous bloatware.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:39 AM (#11) User is offline   cdonjenkins 

• Pip
  • LocationNew Mexico, U.S.A.

I rooted my "Tab S" and of course I can no longer get any direct Samsung updates (and set the warranty void flag in the process)
I used the latest ODIN, and the following..

openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-chagallwifi (I wanted to do a not rooted backup)
and
CF_AutoRoot_Port_T800_BeansTown106.tar.md5.zip

everything seems to be OK as far as I can tell... Now can someone point me to a "remove bloatware page"??
Otherwise and hoping a "cyanogenmod" comes out soon as I'm not a touchwiz fan.

Galaxy Tab Model : Tab S 10.5

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:00 AM (#12) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Thanks, cdonjenkins. Looks like enough info in your post to give me a serious nudge. Now all I gotta do is get up the guts to do the same. Golly, I reckon my wife would strangle me if I bricked this fine device (which is primarily hers anyway). But everything's going smoothly for you, so far, huh? In any case, as for removing bloatware, at least give the app called Root App Delete a whirl. It's free, and very smart, and it worked beautifully for me on another Samsung device that was loaded with crapware.
Hey, by the way, do I want the TWRPchagall-wifi *.img file or the *.tar file for making that recovery? Or do they both work the same, or what?

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:41 AM (#13) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

JUST A CAUTIONARY POST

Uninstalling vs. Disabling/Freezing

Uninstalling an app is exactly what it sounds like – the app is entirely removed from your device. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to get many of these preinstalled apps from the Play Store if you ever need them again. Uninstalling some preinstalled apps may result in problems or instability, so you could run into problems.

It’s safer to “freeze” apps instead of uninstalling them. A frozen app is disabled completely – it won’t appear in your app drawer and it won’t automatically start in the background. A frozen app cannot run in any way until you “unfreeze” it. Freezing and unfreezing are instant processes, so it’s easy to undo your changes if you end up freezing a necessary app.

If you really must uninstall apps, you should freeze them first and wait a while to ensure that your phone or tablet works properly without them.

You can’t uninstall or freeze preinstalled bloatware apps without root access and third-party app managers. Try and you’ll find the options grayed out in the standard Android interface.
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:20 PM (#14) User is offline   cdonjenkins 

• Pip
  • LocationNew Mexico, U.S.A.

For Oden you use the tar file... Here's the rooting guide I used..

http://techegis.com/...b-s-10-5-guide/

I used Odin 3.9 as it's newer and just plain works... Don

p.s. Thanks for bloatware removal tips... Still plan to go the "cyanogenmod" route when available... have it on two s3's and two S4's.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:43 AM (#15) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View Postcdonjenkins, on 05 August 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

p.s. Thanks for bloatware removal tips... Still plan to go the "cyanogenmod" route when available... have it on two s3's and two S4's.

Thanks for the link to that rooting guide, Don. I cdv sworn I'd scoured the net for exactly that kind of cookbook, but I did not stumble upon that one. Thanks too for the reply re: *.img or *.tar file. I was planning to use ODIN 3.9, too, when I get around to it; got it installed, ready to roll. Not really sure what I'm waiting for. Also, with ref to Bart's advice about extra caution in uninstalling vs. freezing -- I'm pretty darn sure you can find every single one of those Samsung freebies and bloatware apps to download and re-install, if you'd ever want to, on that Samsung Apps site.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:20 AM (#16) User is offline   Retiredfinally 

• Pip
  • LocationMassachusetts, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Found this list of safe items to freeze/Uninstall
[SM-T700/T800] List of bloated APKs to delete :- http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2861180
and have mine rooted with nova launcher on almost stock rom. Faster and smoother and easy to do plus you can backup your new rom in recovery.
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:28 PM (#17) User is offline   TechnoGeezer 

• PipPip
  • LocationSeattle, WA

View Postcdonjenkins, on 05 August 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

Hey, cdon -- Pardon the way-long-delayed reply, but . . . Have a look at this "Debloater Tool," programmed by XDA member gatesjunior and a couple of other guys he cites as contributing helpers -- if you're still interested in such-like. http://www.xda-devel...-device-xda-tv/ There's a video on that link and another link lower on that web page for a site where you can download gatesjunior's Debloater. I've read the entire thread, so far, and from what other users post, the Debloater seems to work beautifully, and gatesjunior seems to be quite helpful and reliable and very quick to hop in and post a new tip or make a suggested tweak to his program, which evidently works both for rooted devices of almost any ilk and non-rooted devices running KitKat. (Or maybe by this time you've already got your Tab-S stripped clean, with all the extraneous crapola frozen or blocked or deleted.)

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:14 PM (#18) User is offline   Tinderbox (UK) 

• Pip
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

I rooted my UK T800 running kitkat 4.4.2 the other day, using the latest version of kingroot apk, I had tried earlier version both apk and pc and they did not work, but the latest one worked fine, and my knox says it is still valid.

John.

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:03 PM (#19) User is offline   akaimi 

• PipPip
  • LocationAlgeria
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

kingroot can root many devices, i rooted my phone with it but i couldn't instal supersu

________________________________________________________________________________
http://galaxys7.fr/ galaxy note 6
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users