The Galaxy Tab Forum: Tablet problems after update - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tablet problems after update

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:15 PM (#1) User is offline   rosied34 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLeeds, UK
  • Device Size:2 7.0
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3110
  • Android Version:4.1 Jellybean

I have a Galaxy Android Tab2 and yesterday morning there was a message to update - which I did,(thinking that there may be security updates etc) and which I now wish I hadnt! Before the update, on my home screen there was a large banner weather forecast which I really liked and which changed locations automatically when going abroad etc, and which showed different 'pictures' depending on the weather. I think it was installed before I got the tablet as this was a surprise Christmas present. Since the 'update, this has disappeared; my emails are shown on the home page when I unlock it; when using Firefox I get an error message on every page re scripts not running. We took it back to the retailer who said nothing could be done to restore the weather picture and they didnt know why I was getting the error messages. I have looked extensively for a similar weather app with no success. Ok I know it does not seem a major issue but nevertheless it is very annoying! Any suggestions as to how to restore this app or deal with the other niggles would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rosie

Galaxy Tab Model : 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P3110
Android Version : 4.1 Jellybean

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:59 PM (#2) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

Weather Banner, try looking on your PC at Play Store :- https://play.google....re?hl=en&tab=w8

sign in with your username@gmail.com that you use on your Tab, click Apps (left hand colum),
click My Apps, your weather banner app may still be listed there & you can re-download it,

Firefox : try un-installing it, then reboot your Tab & re-download it & install,

emails : not sure what you mean here, is it just the email icon that shows on the home Page, or do you mean something else,
if its just the icon & you don't want it there, just long press it & drag it to the Trash icon that appears when you do,
the email icon will still remain on your apps page
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:39 PM (#3) User is offline   Robert in SE Virginia 

• PipPip
  • LocationVirginia, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:2 7.0
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3113
  • Android Version:4.2.2 Jellybean

I don't know why you weather/time widget disappeared, but you should be able to drag that eMail widget off the center home screen and get the weather widget back from the widget screens (tap the apps icon, then tap widgets). Note that there are multiple home screens and by default that widget appears on the center home screen (swipe horizontally to change home screens). If you run an app from one of the other home screens tapping the home icon might return you to that other home screen.

I recently viewed two videos that demonstrated the basics of using the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. The first included more features but was a little dated since a few things changed between the Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean versions of the Android Operating System. Search YouTube for "Galaxy 2 7.0 for Beginners" then watch the "...(updated)" video for the differences when the tablet is running on Jellybean. The videos cover things like customizing the home screens and switching between running Apps. When the updated video was produced the presenter apparently hadn't yet heard about getting a Jellybean screen capture with the volume down and power/sleep buttons (the timing can be a little tricky).

I'll attempt to include a link: http://youtu.be/AKlFB9a04QM
I'm not affiliated with that YouTube channel

i haven't been using the Android version of Firefox, so I'm not qualified to help you there, I usually use Dolphin but occasionally use Chrome.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 that's a slightly different model (see below) but except for mine not having 3g capability it should work pretty much the same.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
model: GT-P3113
Android version: 4.2.2

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:15 AM (#4) User is offline   douglasrome 

• PipPip
  • LocationElburn, Illinois, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

this won't help Rosie, too late for her, but maybe someone else reading this. I say don't upgrade, resist the temptation, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. any upgrade from ICS to JB isn't going to magically turn your machine into a superhero. there's some guys that will argue with me, and that's okay. thanks, douglas
Douglas
Elburn, IL
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113 Android ICS 4.0.4
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113 Android ICS 4.1.1

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:01 PM (#5) User is offline   Spikes 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNelspruit RSA
  • Device Size:Galaxy Note 10.1
  • Device Model Number:SM-P605
  • Android Version:4.3 Jellybean

View Postdouglasrome, on 24 August 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

this won't help Rosie, too late for her, but maybe someone else reading this. I say don't upgrade, resist the temptation, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. any upgrade from ICS to JB isn't going to magically turn your machine into a superhero. there's some guys that will argue with me, and that's okay. thanks, douglas

Douglas, I for one fully agree with you! To many reports about teething troubles with JB first releases

Regards

Spikes

Note 10.1 2014 LTE/WiFi

Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
GT-P5100
Rooted; Samsung original 4.1.2 minus bloatware ­čśü

If you don't need 4x4, the track ain't worth driving

www.ladanivaza.co.za

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic