The Galaxy Tab Forum: Locked memo note - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Locked memo note

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:13 PM (#1) User is offline   AussiePaul 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAustralia

Hello.... first post to this forum for me... (please be gentle with me) ;)

My Dad and I have each recently acquired Tablets.... both Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5110. Running ICS 4.0.3

Dad is Eighty years old, and his main reason for getting his tab was to "give his brain something that will make it work to try to help keep it active"

That said, he tends to be slow to adapt to new tech but when he does get it, he is not too bad with it ... well, that is how he has been in the past... but he is not getting any younger.

So to the problem... As a part of demonstrating the functions of the tablet and how it can be incorporated into everyday life, I had made a text file on his tablet using the included "Memo" app, and wrote some of the tablet terminology in that file to assist him to remember it ....

I started it with the word "Android" because he found himself forgetting the name a lot and actually asked me to write it down on a piece of paper for him.

We then, over a couple of days included "Ice cream Sandwich 4.0.3" and the name and model number of the device.

He has been progressively including little memory joggers for himself about how to do things and so on, all related to the tablet.

Tonight he called me because he is now unable to get into that file.

I have not seen it for myself, but as he describes it to me, when he tries to open the file he is asked for the pin number.

He does not remember doing it intentionally but it seems he must have locked the file and so gave it a pin ... perhaps accidentally or maybe he just didn't know what he was doing ... (but I had showed him the process of locking and unlocking the file.)

I just tried it for myself and you have to enter the number twice .... so I guess you can read into that what you will.

The file has not got very much value even if it is unlocked, but now, it has even less value, so we would be happy to just delete it and start again.

Is there any way to delete that file without knowing the pin number?

I realize this post is a little wordy, but I wanted to convey that this is not just some guy who has done something silly with his tab... It's a nice old bloke (Maybe I am a little biased).... who is struggling to learn what he sees as very new technology. He made a bit of a stuff up... and feels pretty bad about doing it.
I would really like to be able to show him that it is recoverable, if it isn't, I'll at least be able to encourage him to just move on and leave the dead file there and ignore it.

He has only had the tab for a few days, perhaps the answer is a factory reset?
If I back it up first, I suppose the offending file would be saved and restored as well?

So, if I went that way he may lose any apps he has downloaded.... probably not really a big deal, he has only got free ones anyway...

Thanks for any help that is offered.
Kind Regards,
Paul... and Clarrie,(Dad)

Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
GT-P5110
Android Version 4.0.3 ICS

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:39 PM (#2) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

I can't help you with the pin password issue, the memo documents app doesn't have that in Honeycomb OS. But the file won't be using up any memory, so why don't you just tell him to ignore it and start a new file.

Alternatively ....... Go into APPS menu - My Files - Memo folder - select and delete. That should work in ICS too, I hope !
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT-N5100 Note 8.0 4.4.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:59 PM (#3) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

to try & open the locked Memo, try the default key 1 2 3 4 (doubtful, but worth a try)

to delete the locked memo, goto Settings, Applications, Manage Applicationa, All .....
scroll down to 'Memo' & tap, tap 'Clear Data'
(this will remove ALL previous memo's & just leave you with the 'Blank' memo used at the start)
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:47 AM (#4) User is offline   AussiePaul 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAustralia

Bart Laroc, on 09 October 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

to try & open the locked Memo, try the default key 1 2 3 4 (doubtful, but worth a try)
to delete the locked memo, goto Settings, Applications, Manage Applicationa, All .....
scroll down to 'Memo' & tap, tap 'Clear Data'
(this will remove ALL previous memo's & just leave you with the 'Blank' memo used at the start)

Thanks for your help Bart I tried that procedure on my tablet and although its a little different on mine, I was able to make it work.!!
On mine, when I go into the manage applications section, I have two instances of the memo. I think one is the locked file and the other is the pin code in the memo. Anyway I used the clear data function that was an option there and it has resolved the issue.
I'll go over to Dads place this afternoon and do it on his and the problem will be solved. Thank you so much for your help with this.
Kind Regards,
Paul.

Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
GT-P5110
Android Version 4.0.3 ICS

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox