The Galaxy Tab Forum: Running two apps at the same time... on purpose. - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Running two apps at the same time... on purpose.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:09 AM (#1) User is offline   graywoulf 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationWestern NC
  • Device Size:2 7.0
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3113
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

I like using the music apps available for the Android OS but I am wondering if there is a way to run like a drum app and then a piano app simultaneously. I have several apps that have both capabilities already built in but I also have apps that are specific in their respective design that I would like to combine if possible. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P3113
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:35 PM (#2) User is offline   BrianG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationDes Moines, IA
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

Many apps already do run at the same time, it's just that usually only one app is "in focus" at any one time. This is just how android works. It would be like running Microsoft Windows programs but in a either fully maximized or fully minimized state, so only the currently maximized program is visible.

When you are in an app and click the home button, the app is still running in the background, so when you open that app again, you are wherever you left off. However, android does do program cleanup over time, so if you wait too long, the OS eventually closes that app to save resources.

When you click the back button (sometimes more than one click is needed), most apps immediately fully close.

So, if you want to run two apps at the same time, you'd open the first one, click the home button, then open the second app. You can switch the two by clicking the "layered squares" icon (on the right of the home icon) and it will bring up a list of recently opened apps and you can easily switch between the two as needed. As far as I know, there is no way to have two applications in a "windowed" state so they are both visible at the same time (other than the apps from the mini-apps tray which seem to operate a little differently).
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - GT-P3113 - Android JB 4.1.1 (NOT rooted) - Firmware Rev LK7
Nexus 7 32GB - Android JB 4.3
Nexus 7FHD (v2) 32GB - Android JB 4.3
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android JB 4.1.2

Ainol 7" Novo - Android JB 4.1
Ainol 10" Novo - Android JB 4.1
HTC Merge - Android GB 2.3
Kindle Fire (G1) - Android 2.3 wrecked by Amazon. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language