The Galaxy Tab Forum: Handwriting after Firmware Update August 2012 TAB 2 7.0 - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handwriting after Firmware Update August 2012 TAB 2 7.0 Keyboard / Handwriting Recognition Changes

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:45 PM (#1) User is offline   ghn 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationHawaii U.S.A.
  • Device Size:2 7.0
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3113
  • Android Version:4.1.1 Jellybean

I've owned my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for only 3 days. On the second day I was using the Polaris software to draft a paper, I saw a key appear on the keyboard where the microphone key usually appears. The key had a T on it. I tapped it and a little window opened up--like a notepad app--and with my finger, I could write something on the notepad (as I would with a pencil), then the app tried to convert my squiggles into typed text.

I was VERY happy. I didn't know the Tab could do this.

But then after I closed the notepad-like app, the key disappeared, the microphone key reappeared, and I haven't been able to get back to that feature since then.

What did I get into, and how can I access the handwriting recognition app again?
ghn

Galaxy Tab Model: 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab Number: GT-P3113
Android Version: 4.1.1

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:50 PM (#2) User is offline   ghn 

• PipPip
  • LocationHawaii U.S.A.

I just purchased 7Notes Premium, which allows me to take notes using handwriting, and the app will convert the squiggles into typed text. I was happy about finding this app because I use it a lot on my iPhone, and it works well with a Boxwave capacitive stylus.

BUT the stylus that works on my iPhone does NOT seem to work on my Galaxy Tab.

Do I need to get a different kind of stylus for the Tab? I went onto YouTube and saw someone using what looked like the same Boxwave stylus that I have on a smaller version of the Galaxy Tab, and it seemed to work well.
ghn

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:13 PM (#3) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

View Postghn, on 27 June 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I just purchased 7Notes Premium, which allows me to take notes using handwriting, and the app will convert the squiggles into typed text. I was happy about finding this app because I use it a lot on my iPhone, and it works well with a Boxwave capacitive stylus.

BUT the stylus that works on my iPhone does NOT seem to work on my Galaxy Tab.

Do I need to get a different kind of stylus for the Tab? I went onto YouTube and saw someone using what looked like the same Boxwave stylus that I have on a smaller version of the Galaxy Tab, and it seemed to work well.

The iphone screen and your tab model are not made of the same medium. You will probably need a tab 2 specific stylus as this model has a different screen to others, I believe.
Stylus are not universal
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT5100 Note 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:51 PM (#4) User is offline   ghn 

• PipPip
  • LocationHawaii U.S.A.

View PostModerator Blast, on 27 June 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

The iphone screen and your tab model are not made of the same medium. You will probably need a tab 2 specific stylus as this model has a different screen to others, I believe.
Stylus are not universal

Thank you for the response.

Since last writing I've tried four different styli--one from Boxwave, one from Amazon, one from Targus, one from
Vivitar (I think). Two of them claiming to be specifically for the Galaxy Tab. None of them worked. Stress:
I want to be able to jot down notes--handwriting--on the Tab and have the app convert convert the scribbles to
typed text.

7Notes does that on my iPhone with a Boxwave stylus. 7Notes and Notes Plus with a Boxwave stylus work on the iPad.

I have 7Notes for Android on my Tab. The problem is I can't find a stylus that will allow me to do handwriting.
If anyone has actually successfully used a stylus to do handwritten notes, please drop me a reference. What
stylus worked for you.

The ones I tried would not produce clear lines. I would get broken lines or no lines--lots of skipping, especially
when tracing letters with small curves--as with m's, n's, o's, or w's.

Please don't tell me about styli that allow you to tap keys or swipe the screen. All the other styli I tried--
even the ones for the iPad--will do that on the Tab. I need one that will actually allow me to smoothly pen notes
or drawings on the Tab screen.

Related to this task, I'm finding the Tab screen disappointing. I can draw/write lines clearly with my finger (as I
can on the iPad or iPhone), but it seems to be very difficult to use a stylus with the screen. (For the iPad and iPhone,
I even made usable styli out of old pen tubes, aluminum foil, and copper wire. The touch screen is very sensitive.)

If the Tab screen itself cannot support this kind of input, I'd like to know so I don't waste any more time trying to
do the impossible.
ghn

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:12 AM (#5) User is offline   kevin2314 

• Pip
  • LocationOhio, U.S.A.
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

I've used a griffin brand stylus and a generic stylus and had problems being artist using sketchbook pro with a stylus is a must. There's some jitter that isn't ideal about the tabs touch interface but I find it workable.
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 2 7.0
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:56 AM (#6) User is offline   slaxx 

• PipPip
  • LocationQuezon City, Philippines
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3110
  • Android Version:4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich

hi!
i'm having the same problem finding styli for my tab, but i was roaming around our mall (i'm in the Philippines) and we have one shop here which sells toooons of computer/cellphone/tab-related stuff. and they sell this

Posted Image

well, they call it a stylus, and it DOES work on the tab, but i didn't buy one, as i wanted it to be point-tipped, just like a ballpoint pen. (also, in case you're thinking about buying from this shop CDR-KING, maybe letting someone buy it and send it to you or summin, i'd advise you NOT to. product quality-wise, kinda bad rep.)

so yeah, just a little heads-up. you might wanna look for something with that sort of tip if you need a "stylus". i'm not familiar with US shops tho, so can't recommend specific places to buy it from.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3110 Android ICS 4.0.3

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:37 AM (#7) User is offline   greeny187 

• PipPip
  • LocationSingapore
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3100
  • Android Version:4.1.2 Jellybean

You might take a look at this here

Purchased this for my use on a Asus Transformer 101 and the stylus is also good for the Galaxy Tab.
Galaxy Tab 2.7.0 GT-P3100 Android 4.1.2

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:22 AM (#8) User is offline   tictactoe 

• Pip
  • LocationIndia
  • Device Model Number:GT-P3100
  • Android Version:4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi,

I just got a new Tab2 7.0 with ICS 4.0.4. However the deafult (and only) keyboard is the samsung keyboard and there does not seem to be an option for enabling handwriting recognition / stylus use. I have tried checking in manage apps also have checked all the setting parameters (including checking for configuring keyboard options). Not There.

Any suggestions???
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3100 Android Version 4.0.4 ICS

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:48 PM (#9) User is offline   MCarb70 

• Pip
  • LocationUK
  • Device Size:2 10.1
  • Device Model Number:GT-P5110

Same problem but previously had both speech and handwriting icons on default keyboard. Have installed Evernote - could this have altered. Keyboard?
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5110 Android Version 4.04

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:58 AM (#10) User is offline   SantoshRaoBlr 

• Pip
  • LocationIndia
  • Device Size:Unknown (SAD)
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

I am facing same issue, at one point I was able to see the Hand Writing Icon... (The T one)...
Now it is just not appearing. Please share what you did.

Thanks,
Santosh
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : Unknown(SAD)
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:21 PM (#11) User is offline   Spiritweaver1 

• PipPip
  • LocationKansas, U.S.A.
  • Device Model Number:GT-P5113

View Postghn, on 27 June 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I've owned my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for only 3 days. On the second day I was using the Polaris software to draft a paper, I saw a key appear on the keyboard where the microphone key usually appears. The key had a T on it. I tapped it and a little window opened up--like a notepad app--and with my finger, I could write something on the notepad (as I would with a pencil), then the app tried to convert my squiggles into typed text.

I was VERY happy. I didn't know the Tab could do this.

But then after I closed the notepad-like app, the key disappeared, the microphone key reappeared, and I haven't been able to get back to that feature since then.

What did I get into, and how can I access the handwriting recognition app again?

I know just how you feel! I've love my Galaxy Tab 2 and raved about it, but the handwriting support was a big deal for me. Here's my story of losing that function... matches yours.

I have the Galaxy Tab 2 10". Purchased first one for Mother's Day and had the exact same experience... except the "T" button and handwriting worked fine until a firmware update installed in late August. I spent hours on phone tech support and chat support (which were not helpful) and finally took my tablet back to Best Buy for Geek Squad support. No one could figure out why the handwriting "T" button had disappeared, or why there was no check-box next to the handwriting option under settings. Instead, the handwriting window option had been permanently replaced by voice input. The tablet was shipped by the Geeks to Samsung. It came back 2 weeks later with a letter saying I didn't know how to operate it and it was fine. The keyboard typing and voice options do work fine, but I want my handwriting function back.

I had Best Buy replace the Tablet with a brand new one. Out of the box it worked great and the "T" box was present in right hand corner by keyboard again. Then, 2 days ago the firmware did it's auto-update and the exact same thing happened! No more handwriting. Again, an entire evening on chat with tech support (3 people), repeating my model number and whole story over and again. They had me do a hard resent (which I'd done on the last tablet, over and over) and now I've done that and re-installed all my accounts and whatnot. I can guarantee it was not an app issue. I had Evernote all along and it was fine. Worked in Polaris and with T-Memo. Now it isn't there. The firmware update is what made it go away both times. I've spent all day today searching online for a solution. The "manual" tells you how to do handwriting (the exact way I've done it since May)... but what it tells you to do is no longer an option. They've messed up... and I'm hoping the next firmware update will correct it. We can only hope!

It wasn't you and you aren't nuts. (This has happened now on two different Samsung tablets since you and I have different models... but the same experience. It should confirm that it is a system software issue.)

Attached is a photo I took of the keyboard before the firmware update. It clearly shows the T button with the pen... Attached File  2012-09-02 19.08.05.png (312.94K)
Number of downloads: 46
The second photo shows the the keyboard after the firmware update. There are no settings that will restore it to its former capacity.Attached File  new keyboard.jpg (92.08K)
Number of downloads: 47

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
GT-P5113
Android 4.0.4

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:22 AM (#12) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

View PostRavi N Musale, on 01 July 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Bart, on the GT-P3100 there is no option for handwriting recognition. There is no key with a T and a pen. Please correct me if I am wrong

so it appears that 4.0.3 ICS & 4.0.4 ICS have different Keyboards, yet another good reason to Edit your Signatures
if you want the correct advice.
Edit with the :
Galaxy Tab Model - GT-P???? Version - Android Version ???? [ Android 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) ]

Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:34 PM (#13) User is offline   Spiritweaver1 

• PipPip
  • LocationKansas, U.S.A.

View PostBart Laroc, on 13 September 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

so it appears that 4.0.3 ICS & 4.0.4 ICS have different Keyboards, yet another good reason to Edit your Signatures
if you want the correct advice.
Edit with the :
Galaxy Tab Model - GT-P???? Version - Android Version ???? [ Android 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3, 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) ]

What doesn't seem fair is that I purchased my GT-P5113 in May largely because of the handwriting in Android 4.0.3 and now the company has taken that away from me with their auto firmware update. I didn't seek out the change to 4.0.4. and an told there is no way to switch back to the version it came with. No option not to load ever appeared. And I never received anything saying I would lose a significant feature. Can I expect more of this sort of thing in the future?

GT-P5113
Android 4.0.4

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:52 PM (#14) User is offline   Chris J 

• PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia, U.S.A.

Where is the auto update option on the 3113?
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113 Android 4.0.4 ICS

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:15 PM (#15) User is offline   BrianG 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationDes Moines, IA
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

In 4.0.4, as soon as you click "Software Update", it checks for an update. There are no options on this screen. However, if I remember correctly, if it does find an update, I think it does ask if you want to update. I've never had my tab update itself automatically - it's always been something where I go look for an update, it tells me an update is available (and I believe it appears with the rest of the update notifications), or I hook it to Kies and it tells me there is an update. Maybe the OP accidentally accepted an update without realizing it?

By the way, the only keyboard option I have under "Language and Input" is the Samsung keyboard (which is the only keyboard I have installed, so I can't un-check it) and "Google voice typing" (which is obviously speech-to-text). So, it looks like you'll have to find an app that does what you're looking for.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 - GT-P3113 - Android JB 4.1.1 (NOT rooted) - Firmware Rev LK7
Nexus 7 32GB - Android JB 4.3
Nexus 7FHD (v2) 32GB - Android JB 4.3
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android JB 4.1.2

Ainol 7" Novo - Android JB 4.1
Ainol 10" Novo - Android JB 4.1
HTC Merge - Android GB 2.3
Kindle Fire (G1) - Android 2.3 wrecked by Amazon. :)

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:53 PM (#16) User is offline   Spiritweaver1 

• PipPip
  • LocationKansas, U.S.A.

View PostBrianG, on 13 September 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

In 4.0.4, as soon as you click "Software Update", it checks for an update. There are no options on this screen. However, if I remember correctly, if it does find an update, I think it does ask if you want to update. I've never had my tab update itself automatically - it's always been something where I go look for an update, it tells me an update is available (and I believe it appears with the rest of the update notifications), or I hook it to Kies and it tells me there is an update. Maybe the OP accidentally accepted an update without realizing it?

By the way, the only keyboard option I have under "Language and Input" is the Samsung keyboard (which is the only keyboard I have installed, so I can't un-check it) and "Google voice typing" (which is obviously speech-to-text). So, it looks like you'll have to find an app that does what you're looking for.

Right, those are the same menu options I have and I can only un-check the voice typing. It's because of the keyboard change (completely different samsung keyboard) that came with the ICS update to 4.0.4. I have added a couple of apps that will do the handwriting, but neither will convert the handwriting to typeface as you write... which is what Polaris and T-Memo used to do.

I think I did say OK on the update when it popped up, but it was a notification and didn't list what would change. I never dreamed it would switch the pre-installed factory keyboard for another that lacked such a major feature. I was not using Kies... it just appeared on the device and as soon as I clicked the notice it started the installation. It just said it was a system update. Generally, those are good things and help with security, performance and so forth. This is the first time I've had a device system update take away a major factory function.

So many of the tech reviews I read online (when researching a device to purchase), and other device descriptions that were out prior to August, raved about the superiority of the handwriting function on the keyboard in the Galaxy Tab 2 (ICS) and that influenced my purchase. Why would a company take away a major selling point and risk alienating its customer base? Just doesn't make sense. So, now we wait.
Posted Image
Alix / Spiritweaver

GT-P5113
Android 4.0.4

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:30 PM (#17) User is offline   cybersmoke 

• Pip
  • LocationMinnesota, U.S.A.

Same here. A good feature gone. Since you don't get a list of changes you find out later. I installed 7notes mazec on the Galaxy tab and can handwrite again.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
Andoid 4.0.4 Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Karen
from West of Nowhere USA - Beware of the Gators of Life

Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
GT-P3113
Android 4.0.4

Toshiba Thrive 10" 4G -AT105-1032G (Android HC), NookColor

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:43 PM (#18) User is offline   Spiritweaver1 

• PipPip
  • LocationKansas, U.S.A.

Thanks, Cybersmoke. I have Freenote, but will also check the one you listed.

Makes one wonder if anyone at Samsung reads these posts?

GT-P5113
Android 4.0.4

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:08 PM (#19) User is offline   Rocketeer 

• PipPip
  • LocationHeidelberg, Germany

Mine is set to prompt before an update. There was an update last night btw. No idea what it changed though...

I looked at the 7notes with mazec. Is it available for the Roman alphabet?
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-3113) Android Version 4.0.4 ICS

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:11 AM (#20) User is offline   Spiritweaver1 

• PipPip
  • LocationKansas, U.S.A.

All I saw was a Japanese version... So I could not use it either.

GT-P5113
Android 4.0.4

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language