The Galaxy Tab Forum: Difference between the EU and UK version sof Tab 7 Plus? - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difference between the EU and UK version sof Tab 7 Plus?

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:57 PM (#1) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members

Apart from the power plug and UK adaptor, are there any differences between the EU and UK versions of the Tab 7.0 Plus?

Just wondering as an online UK retailer is selling the EU version of it (WiFi, 16GB) for GBP195, including a valid EU-wide warranty.

HR
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:07 AM (#2) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

I'm always cynical about something that is that cheap, be careful
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT-N5100 Note 8.0 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:47 AM (#3) User is offline   queeg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationFife, UK
  • Device Size:7.7
  • Device Model Number:GT-P6800
  • Android Version:4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

They are Identical hardware wise. Core Software will be the same but some "value added" software may be different (i.e. the UK one may have a "free" game that the EU one doesn't get).

The other difference is that if it comes from Germany for example it will be set to German language. This isn't an issue as the first time boot up askes what language you want so just select English and all is good.

I have purchased a Note from Amazon Germany and saved £100 over the Amazon UK price. Changed language at first boot and never had an issue - great saving!

Also purchased a Galaxy Tab 7.7 from Hong Kong and paid again about £100 less than people were paying for the 7.0 plus in the UK (7.7 wasnt even available then in the UK).

Buying an international version will give you the same experience as the UK for less money. Just make sure you are getting a valid warranty and you dealing with a reputable company.

P.S. Panamoz (an importer that I have used and trust) are doing the 7.0 Plus WiFi + 3G version for £265, if thats of any interest for you. Hong Kong imported International version. Choice of white or Grey.
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 Android 4.0.4

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:55 PM (#4) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip

View PostModerator Blast, on 17 May 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I'm always cynical about something that is that cheap, be careful

Yea me too, but it's Expansys and I've bought from them before and they've been fine.

I was just wondering about the differences as it IS cheap, and even with a Mifi device it'd still be way cheaper than the 3G version.

And it doesn't seem to be a special offer either, which makes me think maybe there's another new one on the way or that the EU version is seriously unerpowered in some way.....
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:31 PM (#5) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip

View Postqueeg, on 17 May 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

They are Identical hardware wise. Core Software will be the same but some "value added" software may be different (i.e. the UK one may have a "free" game that the EU one doesn't get).

The other difference is that if it comes from Germany for example it will be set to German language. This isn't an issue as the first time boot up askes what language you want so just select English and all is good.

I have purchased a Note from Amazon Germany and saved £100 over the Amazon UK price. Changed language at first boot and never had an issue - great saving!

Also purchased a Galaxy Tab 7.7 from Hong Kong and paid again about £100 less than people were paying for the 7.0 plus in the UK (7.7 wasnt even available then in the UK).

Buying an international version will give you the same experience as the UK for less money. Just make sure you are getting a valid warranty and you dealing with a reputable company.

P.S. Panamoz (an importer that I have used and trust) are doing the 7.0 Plus WiFi + 3G version for £265, if thats of any interest for you. Hong Kong imported International version. Choice of white or Grey.

Thanks for that - very interesting. Ideally I'd love a 7.7 3G, but they're just too expensive and Panamoz don't have it anyway.

Harry
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:54 PM (#6) User is offline   queeg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationFife, UK

View Posth.rule, on 17 May 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Thanks for that - very interesting. Ideally I'd love a 7.7 3G, but they're just too expensive and Panamoz don't have it anyway.

Harry

Hi Harry, they are in stock, http://panamoz.com/i...oid-tablet.html but as you say, may be out of your budget.

Have you considered the new Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ? Its the same price as the 7 plus but is a newer device and comes with Ice Cream from the factory ?

£199 from the car phone warehouse http://www.carphonew..._7_WIFI_8GB_WHT

Sorry if i've just put the cat about the pigeons !

Shout if you need any help.

Take care, Derek

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:27 PM (#7) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip

View Postqueeg, on 17 May 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hi Harry, they are in stock, http://panamoz.com/i...oid-tablet.html but as you say, may be out of your budget.

Have you considered the new Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ? Its the same price as the 7 plus but is a newer device and comes with Ice Cream from the factory ?

£199 from the car phone warehouse http://www.carphonew..._7_WIFI_8GB_WHT

Sorry if i've just put the cat about the pigeons !

Shout if you need any help.

Take care, Derek

Hi Derek

Yea, I just saw that Panamoz have it in stock - I missed the selection button first time. It's put me in a bit of a dilemma now :-O

I read some reviews of the Tab 2 7.0 a while back and they weren't that good. So I have a bit of thinking to do now between a Tab 7 Plus, or a 7.7 either with 3G, or without with a Mifi device, which might be more flexible!

Think that's the evening taken care of - why's nothing ever simple? ;-)

Harry
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:58 AM (#8) User is offline   queeg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationFife, UK

View Posth.rule, on 17 May 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Hi Derek

Yea, I just saw that Panamoz have it in stock - I missed the selection button first time. It's put me in a bit of a dilemma now :-O

I read some reviews of the Tab 2 7.0 a while back and they weren't that good. So I have a bit of thinking to do now between a Tab 7 Plus, or a 7.7 either with 3G, or without with a Mifi device, which might be more flexible!

Think that's the evening taken care of - why's nothing ever simple? ;-)

Harry

Hi again !

Do you have an Android phone ? as teathering has been available since Froyo so you wouldn't need a MiFi device as your phone could do it - of course if you don't have it on your phone ........

Worth a check.

I had a look on Expansys at the Plus for £199 and that looks an absolute steal! I have used Expansys many times in the past and they have always been fine. I may grab one of these for my Dads birthday !

regards, Derek

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:35 AM (#9) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip

View Postqueeg, on 18 May 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hi again !

Do you have an Android phone ? as teathering has been available since Froyo so you wouldn't need a MiFi device as your phone could do it - of course if you don't have it on your phone ........

Worth a check.

I had a look on Expansys at the Plus for £199 and that looks an absolute steal! I have used Expansys many times in the past and they have always been fine. I may grab one of these for my Dads birthday !

regards, Derek

Hi Derek

I don't have an Android phone so tethering isn't an option. So adding a MiFi into the equation would take the cost up to around £280 for a Tab 7Plus which can be used on 3G. So with this in mind, another GBP80 (using the Pound sign there inserted a smiley) for a 3G Tab 7.7 makes a little bit more sense.

Considering it's my birthday fairly soon I ordered a Tab 7.7 3G earlier from Panamoz as an early birthday present! Feeling quite excited now ;-)

Harry
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:20 PM (#10) User is offline   queeg 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationFife, UK

View Posth.rule, on 19 May 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

Hi Derek

I don't have an Android phone so tethering isn't an option. So adding a MiFi into the equation would take the cost up to around £280 for a Tab 7Plus which can be used on 3G. So with this in mind, another GBP80 (using the Pound sign there inserted a smiley) for a 3G Tab 7.7 makes a little bit more sense.

Considering it's my birthday fairly soon I ordered a Tab 7.7 3G earlier from Panamoz as an early birthday present! Feeling quite excited now ;-)

Harry

Hi Harry

You have made a great choice. The 7.7 is a fantastic tab and the screen in simply gorgeous !

Happy birthday and I hope you enjoy your new Tab. Let us know your first impressions when you get it.

Derek

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:12 PM (#11) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip

View Postqueeg, on 19 May 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi Harry

You have made a great choice. The 7.7 is a fantastic tab and the screen in simply gorgeous !

Happy birthday and I hope you enjoy your new Tab. Let us know your first impressions when you get it.

Derek

Thanks Derek ;-)

I used to have the original 7" Tab and loved it, but it suffered from the battery problem and Samsung messed up the 3G and WiFi when they repaired it, and it never worked properly again after that. For example, it wouldn't be able to pick up my home WiFi 4 feet from the router and 3G was a disaster. After 3 attempts to fix it and it suffering a 4th fault, they refunded me.

Hopefully (touching wood!) the 7.7 will be fine. Already ordered a case for it ;-)

Harry
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:32 PM (#12) User is offline   Markfj1200 

• Pip

In response to h.rule's original question about differences between the EU and UK version. For anyone thinking of getting this one I hope this post helps inform.

I bought the Tab 7.0 Plus EU version from Expansys a week ago (in white), after speaking to Expansys on the phone where they confirmed it was the same as the UK version (but see below) except for the charger, but as they supply a UK charger as well for free it didn't seem an issue. It was shipped from Montpellier in France by Exansys.fr (good service and traking got it really quickly). But, there is a hardware difference.

1. The EU version I recieved does not have the Infra Red transmitter. I was miffed at this as there was no indication from Expansys that this would be the case - but given it's only for using as a glorified TV remote control, and it was £100 cheaper, I'm not sure if I miss it that much. But be aware!

Other issues:-

2. The original EU USB power adapter has a 2,000 mAh output. The replacement UK USB charger supplied from Expansys only has 1,000 mAh output. Consequently, when plugged in and charging when in use the software does not recognise it as being on charge - simply says battery discharging. It does charge but be aware it will charge slower than with the original power supply/charger. Also when turned off and pressing the power button/volume control - the large flashing battery charge indicator on screen never gets to showing full even when the battery is at 100%. Disconcerting at first but presumably this is because the Samsung software was set up so that people would not try charging from a standard USB socket on a PC - which outputs less at 500mAh - and they didnt want lots of complaints that it was not charging properly.

3. I have lost the "RAM Manager" from the settings menu. It was there at first until I accessed "Samsung Apps" which dowloaded an up-date. Now the RAM manager is nowhere to be found! Really annoying - if anyone can tell me under which menu this should be and how to restore it I would be grateful.

4. Predictive text:- Even though I have set the language at English UK and location here as well. Predictive text still comes up with French suggestions. Anyone know how to set this to English?

Otherwise it seems like a good device. Still getting used to it though. If I find any more differences to a UK one I will post up further.

Mark
Galaxy Tab 7 Plus

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:07 PM (#13) User is offline   wizz 

• Superman Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationUK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.3 Gingerbread

Very interesting Mark, Thanks for the Info........ :)
Posted Image

Galaxy Tab 7" wifi & 3g (GT-P1000) Gingerbread 2.3.3
Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 wifi (SM-T310) Kitkat 4.4.2

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:35 PM (#14) User is offline   Markfj1200 

• Pip

A quick update to my post above.Re

I checked the voltage on the EU charger and it showed up to 250v in tiny writing. So found an adapter for UK 3pin and it works. The Tab now shows its charging.

I found the Ram manager, it is under Task manager. Silly me

Sorted the predictive text issue. Had to change the keyboard language Which now shows up as English on the space bar.

So all good now.

Mark
Galaxy Tab 7 Plus

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:38 PM (#15) User is offline   h.rule 

• PipPip

View Postqueeg, on 19 May 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi Harry

Derek

Hey Derek

Well, got my 7.7 last week. Lovely bit of kit, but still has problems which my original 7" had a year ago: the WiFi's flakey - when in (for example) coffee shops etc, it's pot luck if it works, and if it does, it's slower than slow. I was having a coffee at lunchtime in Caffe Nero and tried a page on the BBC News website on the 7.7. It was taking an age to load, so while I was waiting I took the laptop out (Lenovo S205), booted it up from sleep mode and had the same page on the BBC News website loaded before the 7.7 had! The 7.7 just seems to struggle with a lot of WiFi hotspots - it works fine on the home WiFi but it's just too unreliable when out. HSPA+ is great though! :-)

The Exchange ActiveSync doesn't work properly. Spent hours on with the support people at my email provider a couple of days ago trying to sort out the Exchange email, but we couldn't get it to work properly, just like on the 7" Tab. It'll part-sync the Inbox, but that's all - it won't sync any of the other folders and won't sync manually - it'll only part-sync when set to Push. I've tried the stock email client and two others, with varying degrees of success, but none wotk 100%. The support guy (who has a WiFi 7.7) said that Android's constantly causing them problems and it will work on one Android device but not on another identical device! - apparently an Exchange ActiveSync account has to be set up and deleted up to 20 or 30 times before it will work properly, but there's no guarantee even after all that that it WILL work! His Exchange ActiveSync doesn't work properly either.

So these are either Samsung problems or (Google) Android problems. Whichever, I'm actually a bit p***ed off that over a year later they're still a problem.

Like I said earlier, the 7.7 IS a lovely bit of kit and everything else about it is just brilliant, but as hooking-up on WiFi when on-the-go and Exchange email are important to me, I'm not going to keep it.

Real, real shame :-(

Harry
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language