The Galaxy Tab Forum: Texting (send & receive) Tab 7.7 4g Verizon ????? - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Texting (send & receive) Tab 7.7 4g Verizon ????? Is it possible? If so, how

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:16 PM (#1) User is offline   Aximtreo 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members

Hello all,

Just purchased the 7.7; coming from original 7.0 Galaxy Tab. I had the Motorola Bionic before and just could not read the small font on the small screen. The Tab and a vanilla phone seems to be the perfect solution for me. By the way, I'm 67 so the eyes aren't what they once were.

Now to my question and dissappointment: How do I send and receive text messages on my 7.7. I've searched the web and googles this question till I'm blue in the face. It seems that there is not simple or easy answer.

Does anyone know why since the tab has a dedicated phone line; texting has to be so hard to do. I'm told that you can even do voice calling on the 7.7; why not simple text messages.

For anyone that wants to jump in, please do. I've taken the use what you have suggestion to heart and am trying to utilize what I have and not wait for ICS.

Larry in Sunny Arizona.
Galaxy Tab 7.7 Verizon SCH-I815 Android ????

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:46 PM (#2) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

it seems to depend on which version of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 you have,
the GT-6800 3G & Wi-Fi has "Messaging" instructions in the User Manual (page 58 & 59),
the GT-P6810 Wi-Fi only has no mention of "Messaging" in the User Manual
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:12 PM (#3) User is offline   Aximtreo 

• Pip

I have the 4G verizon model and it does not mention texting in the manual either. After some more searching, I'm led to believe that Google Voice allows texting so now on to learn how. :good:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 PM (#4) User is offline   GalaxyKhan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPortugal
  • Device Size:7.7
  • Device Model Number:GT-P6800
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

View PostAximtreo, on 09 May 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

I have the 4G verizon model and it does not mention texting in the manual either. After some more searching, I'm led to believe that Google Voice allows texting so now on to learn how. :good:

It would help us helping you if you could say where you're from, since the Samsungs tab are differently customized from global region to global region, from country to country and even from carrier to carrier.

Assuming you're in Europe and you've bought a GT-P6800, it should have "Messaging" in the pre-installed apps.

If it doesn't, you have the option to use an app like the one below or Google Voice.

https://play.google....droid.sms&hl=en

Hope this helps!

GK
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 Android Version ????

My photos at: http://www.pbase.com/photokhan

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 PM (#5) User is offline   TechZ 

• PipPip
  • LocationBahrain
  • Android Version:4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

I have a non-US 3G P6800GT (i.e. non LTE model), texting is under the Social Hub app

Posted Image
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 7.7
Galaxy Tab Number : GT-P6800
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:02 PM (#6) User is offline   Aximtreo 

• Pip

I love my new Galaxy Tab 7.7 on Verizon network. I've been able to do almost everything I want to do such that I now just have a vanilla phone instead of smartphone.

Last problem: Is it possible to text on the Tab 7.7 4g system. I have a phone number which says I chould be able to but can't figure it out. After long searching, I found that it can be done on the 3G model of 7.7 using Google voice but doesn't seem to work on 4G model.

If there is a way, please let me know along with detailed instructions or link to instructions.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:22 PM (#7) User is offline   Moderator Blast 

• Lady Super Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationKent UK
  • Device Size:I have more than one device. See my Signature
  • Device Model Number:See my Signature
  • Android Version:See my Signature

View PostAximtreo, on 09 May 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Google "talk" is the App you need, it should be pre installed on your model. If not you will find it in the PLAY store.

Load Google Video/voicechat FOC download on you pc and you might be able to video/voice call on you tab as well (not sure on your model) once you have done the settings on your pc.

https://www.google.com/chat/video
Posted Image
Posted Image
GT5100 Note 4.1.2 (2013) -- GT-i9300 4.3 JB (2012) -- GT-P6200(IR)3.2 (2012) -- GT-P1000 Overcome Rom 4.1 GB 2.3.6 (2010) -- Kindle (2011)

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:47 AM (#8) User is offline   vbx 

• PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia, U.S.A.

View PostModerator Blast, on 12 May 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Google "talk" is the App you need, it should be pre installed on your model. If not you will find it in the PLAY store.

Load Google Video/voicechat FOC download on you pc and you might be able to video/voice call on you tab as well (not sure on your model) once you have done the settings on your pc.

https://www.google.com/chat/video

I believe you can only talk and text on the Unlocked International 3G version. There are a phone and text messaging app on my P6800 3G version.
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 Android 4.0.4

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:27 PM (#9) User is offline   Aximtreo 

• Pip

I think you are right. The US Verizon mosel is the 815 with 4G and I haven't been able to find a texting method at all.

The next question would be if ICS update allow this on the 4g model or am I stuck? :wacko:

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:14 PM (#10) User is offline   vbx 

• PipPip
  • LocationCalifornia, U.S.A.

View PostAximtreo, on 13 May 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

I think you are right. The US Verizon mosel is the 815 with 4G and I haven't been able to find a texting method at all.

The next question would be if ICS update allow this on the 4g model or am I stuck? :wacko:

Doubt it because I think Verizon locked it for a reason. Maybe if you installed the ICS update for the International version instead of the Verizon version?
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 Android 4.0.4

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:49 PM (#11) User is offline   Joe Scuderi 

• Pip

I read that, in the US, the only way to use the Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 as a phone with texting capabilities is to install Google Voice and Groove IP. After further research, I found some who said a better way to go is to buy the 7.7 global P6800 and instead of keeping the Verizon contract, use a pay as you go such as Straight Talk or Go Phone. I joined this forum hoping to get some clarification. I live in the US and want to get rid of my smartphone (I have a Verizon contract) and thus carry only one device, which would be the 7.7, and use it as a phone with texting capabilities as well as a tablet.

It looks like the Groove IP app is still ramping up, not quite at speed, and furthermore, I don't understand what it does and why Google voice needs to integrate with it, although google voice help makes it plain that google voice is not a phone service, which means I guess that as long as you're on wifi it wouldn't be a problem using google voice or even google chant for voice and text, but that the real issue is when you need to use the cell signal. That's where it seems Groove IP comes into the picture.

I think the Tab 7.7 comes out of the factory so to speak with voice and texting enabled, but that the US carriers have it disabled, so this whole thing with Google Voice and Groove IP is in the nature of a workaround. Which brings me to option two which would be to forget the US Tab 7.7 Verizon version and instead get the Tab global P6800, I think it is, and then use a pay as you go carrier such as Straight Talk or GoPhone, which are the two services which that particular link mentioned. But I don't understand why a pay as you go service would be any more willing to let you use the voice and texting capabilities of the 7.7 than Verizon would, as a matter of fact I think I read that both StraightTalk and GoPhone use the Verizon network.

I have the Verizon family plan and I could, for example, keep my existing phone line (we have six in our family so my youngest right now has Virgin Mobile pay as you go because Verizon only gives you five lines) and give that to my youngest as his phone and then get the Verizon Tab 7.7 with a data plan and use the Google voice and Groove IP workaround to connect via the cell signal for voice and text. That's what I would like to do, unless someone makes the argument that it really is a better idea to use the Global 7.7 and get myself a pay as you go.
Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P???? Android ????

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:20 PM (#12) User is offline   VictoriaKelly 

• Pip

I'm a new 7.7 owner and was also disappointed to find that native texting was not permitted via Verizon. HOWEVER...I've been a "line2" user for over a year on my iPhone and iPad. They have just released an Android version which I've downloaded and am very happy with. I can text AND make voice calls using the app. (So I'm back in the land of happy.)

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:35 PM (#13) User is offline   Tom2112 

• PipPip
  • LocationWestern PA

It all comes down to the fact that Verizon does NOT want you to replace your phone with a tablet. I'm sure they probably think that by screwing you in this way you'll be more inclined to ALSO purchase a phone (and hopefully another data plan for it) from them as well. Jerks!

Anyway, I can confirm that the Line2 app works with Android now. I've been a Line2 customer for about 2 months now. I can't say that I'm happy with their service. Their app stops seemingly whenever it likes and I stop getting my texts and phone calls. But, whenever I start the app up again, it links up and I get my messages and voicemails.

So, I wouldn't recommend using Line2 as a primary phone service provider. But for casual use, its OK.
Original Galaxy Tab (SCH-I800) sporting CyanogenMod 9 and Ice Cream Sandwich
New Galaxy Tab 7.7 (SCH-I815) sporting the hacked Verizon release of Ice Cream Sandwich
Dell Streak 7 with Honeycomb
Droid RAZR MAXX with stock Ice Cream Sandwich
HTC Droid Eris with Gingerbread by MacROM
AsusEEEPC running Ice Cream Sandwich from android-x86.org

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:41 PM (#14) User is offline   Tallmike00 

• PipPip
  • LocationIndiana U.S.A.

I believe you could also use the app "Heywire" for texting, whether you have a 7.7 through Verizon, a wifi only 7.7 (P6810), or the international unlocked GSM version (P6800) like I have. I still have a Gnex smartphone and keep my SIM card in the phone. Not wanting to move the SIM back and forth and also not wanting to get a 2nd SIM, I installed the Heywire app and began texting my daughter using my 7.7 through wifi. Flexibility is a wonderful thing. Heywire will provide a texting phone number for your 7.7 at no charge. There are work arounds to be found.
Android Overdose:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 unlocked international version running Android 4.1.2 Jellybean
and Google Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM phone operating on Jelly Bean (Android 4.2.1)

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:40 AM (#15) User is offline   citroen 

• Pip
  • LocationVictoria, Australia
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

There are several ways to use free texting messages or make free voice calls.
I have been using Viber for text and phone calls and as long as you have a wifi connection this works very well.
Line, as mentioned by VictoriaKelly above, is also pretty good.
I have also used Tango on my Galaxy phone but haven't tried it on the tablet yet.
Tango allows free video calls and is a great way to have a live video conversation.
I found that I could only use Viber on either the phone or the tablet as installing on one caused uninstallation on the other unless a different cell phone number was used for registration.
Viber texting allows very long text messages, seemingly not limited to the few characters allowed on the mormal cell phone connections. It also lets you send photos. Pretty good stuff.
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 7.7
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

S3 Phone

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users