The Galaxy Tab Forum: Windows XP compatibility issue, and How to transfer files onto the Tab HELP!! - The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum

Welcome to The Galaxy Tab Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows XP compatibility issue, and How to transfer files onto the Tab HELP!! I am in desperate need of help transferring files onto the Tab

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:02 AM (#1) User is offline   glaucus1 

• Pip
  • Insert nick to fast reply form
  • Quote selected text to fast reply form
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIllinois, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:10.1
  • Device Model Number:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
  • Android Version:Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

!Hello all,

I am new here, and completely technology-illiterate, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I have 3 questions about this...

1. I just received the 10.1 tab as a gift, and I cannot get my Windows XP to recognize it. Some forums have told me that XP will not recognize the tab, but I cannot believe this. I have been unsuccessful in finding a driver (if that’s even what I need). Can anyone here help me?

2. I have the USB adapter, and it recognizes my Olympus camera and my SD audio device. It took me forever to learn how to transfer files onto the Tab. It seems that the copy function just copies the files onto the camera card and not onto the Tab. And, it seems that the only way to copy files onto the Tab itself is to physically drag each file from the right pane in My Files (USB folder) to a folder on the left pane. Is this correct, or is there any easier way? I may want 30 of the 40 files, and to do each one at a time seems ridiculous. Also, doing this deletes the file from the camera card rather than just copying the contents onto the Tab. I am so lost, and again I apologize, but I really hope you can help.

3. Lastly, my Canon EOS 20D is not recognized by the Tab. Canon does not seem to have a driver. Can anyone here suggest any options for me. I essentially want to use the Tab as a portable storage device so I can free up my camera card space.

Thank you all SO SO much!!

Marc
Don't Be ..... Unknown(SAD)

Please Edit your Profile

Galaxy Tab Model : 10.1
Galaxy Tab Number : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device
Android Version : Unknown(SAD) - See : Settings, About Device

Remove Advertisements User is offline Advertisements

• TheGalaxyTabForum.com

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:31 AM (#2) User is offline   Bart Laroc 

• Relaxed Moderator
  • Group: Super Moderator
  • LocationBristol, UK
  • Device Size:7-Inch Original
  • Device Model Number:GT-P1000
  • Android Version:2.3.6 Gingerbread

View Postglaucus1, on 08 April 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

!Hello all,

I am new here, and completely technology-illiterate, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I have 3 questions about this...

1. I just received the 10.1 tab as a gift, and I cannot get my Windows XP to recognize it. Some forums have told me that XP will not recognize the tab, but I cannot believe this. I have been unsuccessful in finding a driver (if that’s even what I need). Can anyone here help me?

2. I have the USB adapter, and it recognizes my Olympus camera and my SD audio device. It took me forever to learn how to transfer files onto the Tab. It seems that the copy function just copies the files onto the camera card and not onto the Tab. And, it seems that the only way to copy files onto the Tab itself is to physically drag each file from the right pane in My Files (USB folder) to a folder on the left pane. Is this correct, or is there any easier way? I may want 30 of the 40 files, and to do each one at a time seems ridiculous. Also, doing this deletes the file from the camera card rather than just copying the contents onto the Tab. I am so lost, and again I apologize, but I really hope you can help.

3. Lastly, my Canon EOS 20D is not recognized by the Tab. Canon does not seem to have a driver. Can anyone here suggest any options for me. I essentially want to use the Tab as a portable storage device so I can free up my camera card space.

Thank you all SO SO much!!

Marc

1. "cannot get my windows xp to recognise it" :-
try downloading & installing the "SAMSUNG Android USB Composite Device Computer Driver" for your PC
select the latest for whichever you have (win 7, Vista or XP ... 32 bit or 64 bit)
http://www.drivermax...omposite-Device

2. "transfer files to & from Tab" :-
check out ES File Explorer (Featured File manager & App manager which can explore the phones & computers)
https://play.google....mRyb2lkLnBvcCJd

3. "my Canon EOS 20D is not recognized by the Tab", see user ipanag previous post :-
http://www.thegalaxy...dpost__p__41081
Posted Image
Galaxy Tab 7-inch, GT-P1000, Overcome v4.1.0 Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, P1000XWJQ8

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:04 PM (#3) User is offline   Jacksmyname 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSouth Carolina, U.S.A.
  • Device Size:10.1
  • Device Model Number:GT-P5710
  • Android Version:4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

My WinXP computer recognized my Tab 10.1 with no problem.
When I connect my Tab to the computer, a window opens up showing my files on the Tab, and transferring files
to and from the Tab works just like any other device.
However, I had downloaded and installed the Kies software from Samsung's web site before
I connected my Tab to the computer. I'm pretty sure the Kies software installed the drivers needed for the Tab.
I'd suggest installing Kies and see if that solves your problem.
Also, I uninstalled Kies before I connected the Tab, and the PC still recognized the Tab (didn't like Kies).
There are other ways to transfer files. As suggested by Bart, ES File Explorer works well.
Another one is WiFi File Transfer. I really like this one. Works via WiFi, you don't have to connect the Tab to the PC. I transferred a dozen music files
from my PC to my Tab wirelessly in one shot, and the actual transfer took about 5 or 6 seconds.
There's a free version and a paid version. The paid version was about a buck and a half.
Galaxy Tab 10.1, WiFi, 32g Model #GT-P7510 Android 4.0.4 ICS

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language